Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Blurring Photo Edges in PSP

thanks Jamesmc, I will try this and let you know how it works.

Do you think my montage is too amateurish looking? ( I am creating a website for a world-class equestrian) Graphics is the hardest part of web-design for me

Best Regards,
    elizabeth
    IP

And here's a quick retouch using the tools above. If you wish, once you have the photos in layers you can use the smudge tool with reduced opacity (say 20-30 percent on the slider bar) and get rid of any sharp edge on the individual photos.

Obviously, if one was to take greater care than I did on this photo, it could provide amazing result as if the photo were one photo, but a montage of images. Perhaps increase the Gaussian blur along the intersection where the photos meet; lighten, darken and of course soften. It's a matter of what you wish to do, experiment a bit it's quite enjoyable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blurhorseback.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	26318   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blurhorseback2.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	26319  

Last edited by jamesmc; 03 June 2006 at 01:41 PM.
    IP

Hi again,

No I think your photo looks fine. The thing to remember with a Montage if it is balanced. Do you want a large photo in the middle and others on the side, tops and bottom? Think of a Montage as arranging flowers for a bouquet, each photo being a flower. Does more on one side look better or distributed out.

It all depends on the mood one is trying to create. If you want an action type presentation, then perhaps a larger photo to one side will do. If you want to focus on the crowning achievement, perhaps one larger photo in the middle with support events surrounding the larger photo.

A matter of tastes I would say and the message you wish to convey.

Best of luck with your website and I must say I admire Equestrians. I just never sat right in the saddle and I think the horse knew that its acceleration could ultimately win out with me staying properly seated.
    IP

A bit of fun with one of the Montages. heh heh
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IP

Here's another way. Select your image with the freehand selection tool. (Be sure that layer is highlighted
    in the "Layers Panel") Then hit on "Selections" at the top and go to "Modify". Then to "Feather". (If "Modify"
    isn't available, click on "Select All" after hitting on "Selections" to turn the function on) You can adjust the
    amount of feathering on the edges from just a little to a lot, there is a preview screen. Hit "OK". Then right click
    on the layer you selected from (in the "Layers" panel) and choose "Promote Selection to Layer". Now you have
    your feathered image in its own layer and you can place it where you want. You can clean up the edges a bit
    with the smudge or eraser tool if needed. And/Or use one of the blend modes for an interesting effect.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...c/londonex.jpg
    IP

Excellent points Elgi. Always alternative ways of doing thing in a versatile program.
    IP

Thanks, jamesmc. I've been experimenting with gaussian blur a bit lately, too.
    It's great to have several options of doing the same thing. Great animation, btw.
    Hope you aren't not-posting for long. I enjoy your posts.
    IP