Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Any tips for making cogs?

Is there a turorial on how to make the wheels spin opposite of each other?
    Would be much appreciated.

and a gif`t from me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Could it be a problem with perspective? (ctrl and '+' or '-')

Broncofancam, I suspect that the issue causing the original problem was your use of .wmf format. I have noticed before that Xara3D does not treat .wmf files as equivalent in sizing to the same image in .web/.xar format. When you imported your cogs into Xara then transferred the image to Xara3D as .web that resolved the problem for Xara3D.

Meanwhile, a cog anim of my own, using Egg's cogs.xar file (saved me making my own, thanks, Egg!).

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 cogs 1.gif 
Views:	441 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	26639  

Exclamation Re: Any tips for making cogs?

Quote Originally Posted by simsmj
    Broncofancam, I suspect that the issue causing the original problem was your use of .wmf format. I have noticed before that Xara3D does not treat .wmf files as equivalent in sizing to the same image in .web/.xar format. When you imported your cogs into Xara then transferred the image to Xara3D as .web that resolved the problem for Xara3D.

Meanwhile, a cog anim of my own, using Egg's cogs.xar file (saved me making my own, thanks, Egg!).

Mike
    I'm not sure, but did I mention I hate you!!!!!

That graphic is awesome!!!!!!

Hello, Broncofancam,
    I am sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone, and I appreciate your kind? words. I just took the cogs idea to the next level using techniques I have used before, namely a 4-frame swing-2 animation to swing the cogs in pairs to align on different axes, then paused it in frame 2, and adjusted vertical positioning with line size adjustments, and horizontal positioning with judiciously placed space characters. This showed the cogs in the correct orientations. I then used the same techniques you must have used to animate the individual cogs, except I had more cogs to fiddle with.

I must say that your own cogs look absolutely excellent, as do the others, and this is what inspired me to play a bit with them.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thumbs up Re: Any tips for making cogs?

Quote Originally Posted by simsmj
    Hello, Broncofancam,
    I am sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone, and I appreciate your kind? words. I just took the cogs idea to the next level using techniques I have used before, namely a 4-frame swing-2 animation to swing the cogs in pairs to align on different axes, then paused it in frame 2, and adjusted vertical positioning with line size adjustments, and horizontal positioning with judiciously placed space characters. This showed the cogs in the correct orientations. I then used the same techniques you must have used to animate the individual cogs, except I had more cogs to fiddle with.

I must say that your own cogs look absolutely excellent, as do the others, and this is what inspired me to play a bit with them.

Mike
    You are truly the master, thank you for sharing... stupendous work as always.!!!

Hey! I thought you could make only 3d Text in Xara 3d???

Did I miss something?

Thanks,
    ~Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by marcus_u
    Hey! I thought you could make only 3d Text in Xara 3d???

Did I miss something?

Thanks,
    ~Marcus
    Didn't you get the memo?

Marcus,

Xara3D is/was designed primarily for making 3D text, but the brilliant developers at Xara Ltd. included the ability to import vector shapes. That ability, your imagination, and determination are the only limits

Mike Sims shows us all that many things are possible.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I tried to pull it off but they only spin without a wobble in a parallel position.
    I tried to apply a baseline shift to offset the cogs and it wobbled like crazy....yours came out much better than mine did.http://home.comcast.net/~pe3k/cogs.gif