Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XaraLX versus favorite distro

I use XaraX at work and know that it is a great vector graphics programs compared to Photoshop and Fireworks.

In my situation my distro of choice, PCLinuxOS does not support XaraLX because it uses glibc 2.3.2 instead of glibc 2.3.4 which is required by XaraLX. I considered trying a distro with a c library package that supports XaraLX, but for now I decided to stick with PCLinuxOS and abandon XaraLX. I have tried over a dozen distros (Ubunutu variations, MEPIS, Mandriva, Vector to name a few) some of which undoubtedly support XaraLX, but for me PCLinuxOS simply works better than any other distro.

I'm wondering how many others are in this same situation, that is, your favorite distro doesn't support XaraLX so you are abandoning use of XaraLX to stick with your favorite distro.

Good luck with the XaraLX development. When PCLinuxOS supports XaraLX I will try it again. In the meantime I will continue to use XaraX at work.
    IP

Default Re: XaraLX versus favorite distro

Why not make a dual boot?

Doesn't even have to be a large partition if your just going to have an alternate linux distribution and Xara X on there.
    Last edited by jamesmc; 20 May 2006 at 08:27 AM.
    IP

I have successfully built Xara from the latest source code in PCLinuxOS Big Daddy. My first attempt in PCLinuxOS MiniME 0.93a failed. Once I can consistently build XaraLX for PCLinuxOS I plan to place the instructions on the PCLinuxOS forum.
    IP

+ this doesn't make sense to me as a XaraLX lover... Id sooner dump the distro, and find one that supported XaraLX...
    actually, any of the serious Linux distributions include all the libraries you need to run XaraLX... also... with linux, you can always download and install the required libraries - I prefer the first solution.

Quote Originally Posted by zzzzzzzzzz View Post
    I use XaraX at work and know that it is a great vector graphics programs compared to Photoshop and Fireworks.

In my situation my distro of choice, PCLinuxOS does not support XaraLX because it uses glibc 2.3.2 instead of glibc 2.3.4 which is required by XaraLX. I considered trying a distro with a c library package that supports XaraLX, but for now I decided to stick with PCLinuxOS and abandon XaraLX. I have tried over a dozen distros (Ubunutu variations, MEPIS, Mandriva, Vector to name a few) some of which undoubtedly support XaraLX, but for me PCLinuxOS simply works better than any other distro.

I'm wondering how many others are in this same situation, that is, your favorite distro doesn't support XaraLX so you are abandoning use of XaraLX to stick with your favorite distro.

Good luck with the XaraLX development. When PCLinuxOS supports XaraLX I will try it again. In the meantime I will continue to use XaraX at work.
    IP