Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Versions of Linux that run latest XaraLX

I normally use PCLinuxOS, but the version of glibc does not support running XaraLX binary and the version of glibc that will support XaraLX will not appear until version 0.94.

I've tried building XaraLX with no success.

Is there a list of Linux distros that have the version of glibc required to run XaraLX? Will the latest Debian unstable support the XaraLX binary? I plan to test SymphonyOS Beta now that it has been released, and it is built on Debian unstable.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
    IP

Default Re: Versions of Linux that run latest XaraLX

XaraLX works fine on Debian. In fact, there is a, somewhat outdated package available in non-free for the unstable branch.

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/graphics/xaralx

The nightly builds run fine on Debian as well. I am actually running Etch here but they should work fine on unstable as well.

Cheers,
    Jed
    IP

I am finding it very hard hard put myself in your shoes.

* If PCLinuxOS does not support all my chosen applications, why is it my favourite?

* Why not build Xara for my distro and submit it to the PCLinuxOS maintainers?

* Why not build Xara and create an autopackage

* Why not ask the PCLinuxOS maintainers for help? (You will probably find out that maintaining a distro involves a lot of work).

I normally suggest that people should chose a distro based on what their friends (= source of one-to-one advice) use; otherwise choose one of the 'tier 1' distros such as SuSE, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Mandriva.

I would be very tempted to boot your machine using a Ubuntu live CD (or Mepis), and see how you get on, You can use the home directory and swap from your hard disk, and perhaps even install the necessary binaries and libraries on your disk in your home directory.

If the Xara project follows the same trajectory as Inkscape, there may well be a few releases which do not run as widely as all that. The realistic way of handling this is to build your own (I build my own vim, samba, perl and many of the things that I use every day - the 'eat your own dog food' approach to happy living) or even contribute to the Xara project.

I don't think that you will ever be asked to choose between Xara and 'your favourite distro', once Xara reaches a degree of maturity. In the meantime, you may have to use an alternative or supplementary distro to try out Xara, learn a little about loading dynamic libraries or come and help with Xara. These are the choices that everyone who has been interested in Free Software since RMS kicked off the FSF has been making for themselves.

Ben
    IP

I feel that PCLinuxOS is the best Linux distro around. But it doesn't have a Xara package in the repository.

I have successfully built Xara from the latest source code in PCLinuxOS Big Daddy. My first attempt in PCLinuxOS MiniME 0.93a failed. Once I can consistently build XaraLX for PCLinuxOS I plan to place the instructions on the PCLinuxOS forum.
    IP