Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First XaraX

Great job Penny. It is interesting how you blurred the forground plants.

Judi

Nice scene :-) ... reminds me of some of Henri Rousseau's scenes. Do you like his paintings?

David King
    www.dkingdesign.com

Top-a-the-mornin to you Penny. Indeed,itis a very nice piece...being a firsty. No doubt several months from now you hate looking at it. Why? Because you'll grow artistically with deeper perseption etc.along with becoming an expert using Xara X. Undoubtly you Created this piece from your inner feelings, right? Maybe having studied some referance material. Good. May I comment> 1-Seek to make the piece "work". By this I mean. You create perspective with the SIZE of things ie-Crane in bakgd and flowers on first plane. One's eye accepts the visual depth, However, to make that 'work'even more you might work with the INTENSITY of color. ie-A Bright Yellow on first plane would not be a bright yellow at the distance that the cranes are placed. It would be a much lighter value of the same hue of yellow...sort of 'washed out'. The use of transparency can make it click very nice. Things closer to the eye are, gernally much shaper than at a distance. The flowers show a misty feeling...this could be true if there are other elements around the flowers that lets the eye accept the fuzziness of flower. ie-Mist rising up from water etc.
    The Xara Line Tool, to me is like a program in itself. One comentator gave example of foilage etc.That is the way I feel about it, too. You can make the line tool a Fill Tool....with the Edit tool you can make sing and dance to any tune you play. I posted a Man's Face in which I created a line with an Orchid. I used this for the basic fill of his face..then used a variety of lines,color etc.for rest. Here is an attachment in which shows two different approaches to using Line in these faces. (They were done for commercial work.) You're on the right track..gal. Keep it up!
    (I worked the eyebrows differently on each one.)
    Bill Clegg

www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/wrc/index.htm
    http://netdial.caribe.net/~cleggart
    Also a no.2 Xara X CD...various piec

[This message was edited by William R.Clegg on April 23, 2001 at 02:24 PM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	two_faces.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	9535  

Penny, I like your image just the way it is. Some good points were made in the last post about trying to follow a more realistic path to image creation but if you wish to make things your own way without so much regard to what appears real, you can just make what feels more appropriate for your image (I imagine Henri Rousseau was told these similar points about realistic painting but his paintings are in the Louvre aren't they [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com

Thought it might be worth pointing out that Penny's super picture has been posted here since 5 November 2000, so it's already 'several months from now'! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

I am looking forward to her new posting. Hope you will post one soon Penny.

Though this had been lost in time. Thanks, Eric, for the resurrection and for subsequent kind and constructive comments. Also, David, thanks for excellent link to Artchive. Hope to post again soon but, as usual, time is the problem! By the time I've sorted Gary's tutorials, read the forums, done a few experiments etc., that's pretty much that! Penny

[This message was edited by Penny O'Rorke on April 24, 2001 at 12:08 AM.]