Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First XaraX

Here's my first total XaraX - I love all the new features and have used most of them here, except the bevel tool. Can't wait for finished product.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JUNGLE.jpg 
Views:	795 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	4839  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Wow! I especially like the depth and "atmosphere". In my illustrations I often have to draw vegetation so I particularly enjoy seeing how others do it. I find it interesting that you didn't use the bevel tool. When I first heard that Xara X would have the bevel tool and the ability to change a stroked line to a shape - I was excited by the potential in more easily drawing leaf shapes. You might want to try converting a stroked line to a shape, and then apply the inside bevel. I think the example attached gets the idea across. - The bevel tool isn't just for buttons and text effects.

Thanks, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Name:	leaves.jpg 
Views:	791 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	1326  

.....wish I'd thought of that! Thanks Ross, it really works - Penny

An example simply made to test alternative use of bevels, lines and shadows.
    A bevel retains the direction of light even after rotation, so it was really a matter of minutes to draw this "sun".
    The face of the sun is a bevel itself.

Ciao,
    Luciano

Name:	sun.jpg 
Views:	776 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	14973  

That's great Luciano! I imagine that it is always sunny like that in San Marino. I'd almost forgot what the sun looks like - here in Nova Scotia it has been raining for a week (an unusually long stretch of bad weather for us).

Regards, Ross

Love this work. The brush tool can also quicken making tree and grass textures. Here I've used one blade of "grass" as the first brush, adjusted the spacing and hue & saturation as well as the sizing to get different sizes and colours of the same shape. I then "converted line to shape" and ungrouped to pull all the blades into a compact group. This group I then made into a further brush and with just 3 lines got the tree type shape on the right. I cloned flipped & scaled this to get the left shape. Finally I cloned both shapes, "added shapes" gave 2 different fills and applied a transparency.

Name:	leaves.gif 
Views:	759 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	11737  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

and another example

Name:	ivy.gif 
Views:	715 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	13971  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Your examples are very inspiring. They reinforce what a powerful tool Xara X is. Seeing grass-like follage created so effectively makes me wonder if you are up to one of the ultimate tests: realistic fur or hair? I hope so!

Regards, Ross

PS: Do I understand it correctly, there are no bitmaps in your grass technique? If so, does it make sense to have used named colours/shades of named colours to allow easy modification of the colouring of the completed grasses?

I've just realised this is the Gallery forum & really I don't suppose we really ought to be doing this here so I've posted my method in the Xara X forum under "Grass technique"
    Egg

great drawing penny, your brother mickey must be very proud of you

cheers
    eric [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]