Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: exporting to eps or ai with transparency???

I just tried using Adobe v1.3 format to see if that helped but it did not. I also tried flattening the transparencies and coverting to CMYK using Adobe. The colors do change but still the transparency color is noticibly different than the non-transparency color.

The colors look fine on the screen but the printed colors are different. Anyone have ideas or a workaround?

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test
    The colors look fine on the screen but the printed colors are different. Anyone have ideas or a workaround?
    Gary answered this in another thread - the computer uses an RGB colour space but print uses CMYK so the colour shifts. Xara can simulate the colours - Window->Show Printer Colours->Simulate Print Colours.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauland
    Gary answered this in another thread - the computer uses an RGB colour space but print uses CMYK so the colour shifts. Xara can simulate the colours - Window->Show Printer Colours->Simulate Print Colours.

Paul
    I wasn't referring to the color difference between what is displayed on the monitor and what is printed.

I was referring to 2 shapes on a printout, one with a transparency, one without. The color of the shapes are noticeable different.

I will be covering this in the next Workbook (May 15th).

I created a file with a lot of different transparencies, bevels, shadows, etc. and exported in both Acrobat formats and then attempted to convert the files to PDF/X in Acrobat 7 Professional.

I won't reveal what happened except to say that after a very slow start and many many error messages, I converted a Xtreme PDF Reader 5 1.4 file to PDF/X3 with no problems!

You'll have to read Workbook 47 to discover the trick (and in the end it was very simple)

Gary

oO Gary!

Somone move the calendar to the 15th!

Gary, are you planning to print your test file and check the colors with effect against the colors without effects?

I'm afraid that CMYK colors and transparency do not mix. There is no work around for this, it's a simple fact of life (because on Postscript transparency has to be simulated, or flattened, by creating RGB bitmaps, and thus RGB colors are used for transparency).

The only way to get consistent, reliable colors if you use transparency, or any effect, such as feathering, soft shadows, is to use RGB colors throughout and avoid all CMYK colors.

If you have to use CMYK colours, then you must avoid any transparency effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir
    I'm afraid that CMYK colors and transparency do not mix. There is no work around for this, it's a simple fact of life (because on Postscript transparency has to be simulated, or flattened, by creating RGB bitmaps, and thus RGB colors are used for transparency).

The only way to get consistent, reliable colors if you use transparency, or any effect, such as feathering, soft shadows, is to use RGB colors throughout and avoid all CMYK colors.

If you have to use CMYK colours, then you must avoid any transparency effect.
    Charles, thanks for the clear answer. Does this apply even to folks that use Illustrator or other professional DTP tools?

Yes this applies both AI and InDesign. These both programmes flatten or rasterize their transparencies and if the area is complicated it can leave a very small line between the flattened and none flattened work if you are not careful that is why in print most people froget transparencies or keep it as simple as possible. Thats why Gary in his workbook created a bitmapped copy of the area to take into Acro.

By the way Gary tried the workbook using Acro 6 and managed to complete it but it is not so simple as in the newest version. Thought the work that went into producing the Tut was even a higher standard than usual, Thank again.
    Design is thinking made visual.

My pleasure.

Gary