Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PRO TIP 1 - Gradient Fills

As promised in my first Xara Xtreme Gallery posting, here is my first PRO TIP, aimed essentially at the vector art beginner.

This tip (hopefully) explains how I use TWO reference photographs to aid my drawing, and use to accurately sample gradient fills.

First, I import one copy of my reference photo, place it and reduce its transparency. This image is then LOCKED on its own layer.
    This is used as a template for my final image assembly.

Next, I import an identical 2nd image, place it at 100% transparency on another layer. This is my floating reference image that I move around the screen, often as close as I can to the working area.

Then, I draw my outlines - always using the SHAPE EDITOR TOOL and fill with a mid-range solid colour sampled form the floating image . From then on I usually trace individual shapes on the floating image, sampling any gradient fills after moving them into place on the main drawing. I usually create several fill points on the gradient (double click on the fill line) and use the EYE DROPPER TOOL to take samples from the floating image. After sampling, I manipulate the points up and down until they look something like the original.

Here a few screen snags to illustrate my technique. Believe me, the outlines on this drawing are very simple - it is the gradients that breathe life into the image.

Incidentally, I always take my own reference photos - so I can catch the best shadows and highlights.

I hope this insight is some help to newcomers - if more of the same will help - just ask.

Moderator- if this is posted in the wrong forum please remove it.

gbpatriot

Cheshire
    England
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camtut snag 1 copy.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	25323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camtut snag 2 copy.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	25324  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camtut snag 3 copy.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	25325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camtut snag 5 copy.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	25326  

Default Re: PRO TIP 1 - Gradient Fills

That is stunning

I'm sure others will be equally impressed and delighted to know a bit more about the techniques people such as yourself use.

Dave

I`d like to use Elliptical fill tool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	note 01.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	25336  

Hi Valery,

Having just looked at the stunning artwork in your on-line albumn, especially the image called 'Beer', I now feel like a complete amateur myself.

Yes of course you are right - There is a better way to add realism by using the Elliptical fill tool.

No excuses.

Thank you for your advice. Perhaps I should keep my old mouth shut in future and leave the advice to the real experts?

Anyone else reading this posting should also check out Valery's brilliant work -and be humbled.

Regards

gbpatriot

Cheshire England

Don't be so hard on yourself... your work is excellent. Valery's work is also excellent and that's the best part of this forum... we all can see and learn from each other's work.
    Your tutorial is most welcome.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glenngosack
    ... we all can see and learn from each other's work.
    You are absolutely right

gbpatriot,
    Don't you dare keep your mouth shut! Your observations, techniques and opinions are as valuable as anyone elses. We are all constantly learning. It's funny to me that when I think I've got a pretty good way of doing something and months later discover from some posting here a better way of doing it. This is true of everyone.
    Keep posting. It's very much appreciated.
    ron