Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Photographs, Google Earth and copyright

A potential client has supplied me with some ideas for a small website they want to commision. The website is related to renting holiday accommodation in Switzerland.

What is the best way to source tourist material - photographs, local maps that could be published (at minimal cost) on a website?

The client would like to include on the website a view from google earth - has anyone used an image from Google Earth for promotion on a website? As I understand it the ordinary Google Earth licence prohibits copying a google earth image.

This isn't some big bucks project, just a small holiday let business.

At the moment, apart from client supplied photographs, the best solution will be to use royalty-free stock libraries and to create original maps.

Thanks,

Paul

Default Re: Photographs, Google Earth and copyright

Hi Paul

Don't quote me but ......

What's Google Earth about? Basicaly it's an extension of the search engine Google. It becomes a graphical extention of their search engine.

I don't think you can use an image from Google Earth but I would imagine they would be more than happy if you included a link to a geographical location.

Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg,

They've used Google Earth to have a view on Switzerland where the accomodation is and used the place marking facility to annotate all the local towns/villages/facilities on the view, as well as the exact position of the accomodation. it is impressive and shows why you might want to stay at that location.

I don't think that you could get quite the same effect using a link.

Paul

Paul,

According to Google Earth help files, it's okay to use the image as long as you leave the copyright and google logo:

We're flattered to hear that you're further incorporating Google Earth into your online world. You can personally use an image from the application (for example on your website, on a blog or in a word document) as long as you preserve the copyrights and attributions including the Google logo attribution. However, you cannot sell these to others, provide them as part of a service, or use them in a commercial product such as a book or TV show without first getting a rights clearance from Google.
    Mickie

Hi Mickie,

Interesting, but does a commercial web site (after all it's to sell holiday accommodation) come under the free banner?

Paul

Paul,

I am not an expert on this. With that said, my opinion is it is OK to use as long as you are not trying to sell the image (or similar images) and you are not distributing the image (as in book or TV show). Since you are not trying to do either, I'd say use it...it is actually good advertising for them.

If you are unsure, send an email to the Google Earth help desk.

Mickie

Yes, I'll try that. Thanks Mickie.

Well, I've tried to contact Google Earth and read their usage quidelines. I'm more inclined to agree that it shouldn't be a problem to put the image on the website, provided the copyright notices remain intact.

Thanks guys.

Paul