Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello,

Can anyone help me. When i use painter the program creates a pre build brushes file. The last time it was something like 20 Meg big. One can understand that this causes problems. Does anyone know how to prevent this. And do you know what the file does?

thanks

sander weernink
    IP

Hello,

Can anyone help me. When i use painter the program creates a pre build brushes file. The last time it was something like 20 Meg big. One can understand that this causes problems. Does anyone know how to prevent this. And do you know what the file does?

thanks

sander weernink
    IP

Hello and welcome Sander Weernink,
    Welcome to the Painter forum.
    I really don,t know what this file does but it does not hurt Painter to delete the file periodically. Painter rebuilds the file on it's own.
    Happy Holidays.
    Greg
    IP

Vermont, (the state that makes NH. nervous)

Hello & welcome Sander,

Jinny Brown had a thread on this, but I can't seem to find it now. So, somebody, please, jump in if I'm off base here!

The way I understand it, any time you change the settings in a brushes attributes, (i.e. 'build' a new brush), those settings are saved to the Pre-Built Brush File, and I believe those settings 'stick' to that brush unless you go to Variant/Restore Default Variant. This file can get REALLY large, if you change brush parameters alot as I do. You can't prevent Painter6 from doing this as it's built in, but as Jinny said, you can safely delete the file anytime and it will start anew. Of course, make sure to save any brushes that you've built, that you like, before doing so. Sort of a pain to have to remember to do this all the time, but a good idea to do it often. Don't know if there is a size limit to the file, but mine was 165 megs first I heard about this.

BR....
    IP

"Can anyone help me. When i use painter the program creates a pre build brushes
    file. The last time it was something like 20 Meg big. One can understand that this
    causes problems. Does anyone know how to prevent this. And do you know what
    the file does?"

It contains information that your brushes use when you work with them. Storing this information allows Painter to work more quickly. It doesn't hurt anything to delete the file (with Painter not running), but you will notice minor delays when selecting and using brushes as Painter re-creates the information again.

Doug Frost
    IP

BR and Doug are right, this file can be deleted **after Painter is closed**. (If you check the file size while Painter is running, the newly increased file size won't show. It only shows after Painter is shut down.)

I delete this file **often**. Just this morning, while I was checking through the brush libraries and testing some of the brushes, I deleted it two times (Painter stalled a couple of times when I was attempting to load The Painter 6 WOW! Impasto brush library.) It got as large as 12 MB in just 5 minutes or so!

If I forget to delete this file, Painter really slows down and sometimes just freezes.

Happy Holidays

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Where do you find the pre build brushes file?
    Or is this something spicific to Painter 6, I have Painter 5.5.
    Thanks for help.
    Perth
    IP

Perth,

Since I don't own Painter 5.5 I can't check to be sure if there is a Pre-built Brush File.

Painter 5 doesn't have it but in Painter 6, it's found in the main Painter folder.

Be sure that you don't delete the wrong file. If it's not named exactly...

"Pre-built Brush File"

...then it's not the file we've been talking about and if you delete it, that will cause you problems. It's better just to forget it completely than it would be to delete the wrong file.

Sorry, I wish I had Painter 5.5 so I could make sure for you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    IP

"Since I don't own Painter 5.5 I can't check to be sure if there is a Pre-built Brush File."

It doesn't. That was a feature introduced in v6. In v5.x this information is stored more efficently, so file bloat isn't a problem. The reason for seperating this information out by itself is to reduce file corruption... now you can just delete the pre-built file.

Doug Frost
    IP

Doug,

Thanks for verifying that. I try not to give inaccurate info but it's hard to know enough about Painter 5.5 when I don't have it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jin

Jinny Brown
    IP