Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Transparent Background

I know this is a very old post, but perhaps someone will still notice this message. My problem is the transparent background thing. I want the 3D image, but I want to paste it on top of a picture so I don't want a background saved with the image.

Do I need to save it as you mentioned? I can't figure out how to do that. I go to FIle and click on Export. I can then choose what format I want to export the image as, but the options you mention are not there or at least I'm not seeing them. There is no box to check for transparency that I can find. I don't know how to access the Export Options Dialog. Where is that? Can you make your answer even more simple for a newbie like me? Thanks.

tj

Hi TJ,

Welcome to the forum.

When you select Export from the File Menu, you will see a dialog to choose the type of file you want to save the image. If you want to have a transparent background you must select either GIF or PNG as they are the only formats that support transparency. See attachment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x3d-export2.gif 
Views:	503 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	24865  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thank you for your kind reply! You must get tired of novice's asking the same question. Finally, I figured it out this time. Thanks again!

tj

I have a lil question about this post. I see that yes you can save it as a transparent image. I usually will set the background to the closest color and then save the image as transparent background. Yet when I change my layout on my website from example from white to black I can see traces of the outlined part of whatever default background color I used when creating the graphic. I dont want to have to redo all the graphics everytime I make a new layout. Is there a way to have a transparent background when actually making the image so that when I change backgrounds lil traces around the edges wont show.

Infinite

No is the simple answer. The image has to be anti-alisaed to some background. If you change your background, the anti-alias will now be the wrong colour. You will need to redo your animation. But it's not a big problem if you saved the original file, just change the background to the new colour and export again and post to your web site.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host