Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Web Site Created - Apology to Scotty

Scotty posted the following:

Hi,
    I created a web site for my personal enjoyment (headache) I would like some feedback.
    There are two sites one for browser with small setting and one designed for 800x600
    Comments on which is preferred would be nice (so I can finish for the better choice.
    Links

http://members.shaw.ca\macgregorj\Images.html
    http://members.shaw.ca\macgregorj\640.html

Unfortunately, I thought that the thread belonged in the Web Site feedback forum. So I moved it. However this forum no longer exists. What makes matters worse, as a Xara Moderator I can move it out, but I think I need to be a Muper Soderator to move it back ;-)
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 22 March 2006 at 02:59 AM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Web Site Created - Apology to Scotty

Thanks for the explanation Egg. I tried to reply while you were moving it and I got a message saying the forum wasn't accepting new posts. Thought I had done something wrong

Jim, I'm one of the seemingly few users of the internet that still uses dial-up connection. Both links take about a minute to load over the connection I have. The menu links also take a bit longer than I would expect to load. The first link looks good on my screen (1024x768), but the second link cuts off your crest.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Scotty

I can't understand the need for 2 sites when both sites resize to fit the browser window. I mainly create a site to fit a 1024 x 768 resolution screen (stage size 975 x 560 to allow for browser furniture) as this is fast becoming the most widely used resolution. I believe that at some time you have to drop the 800 x 600 resolution straight jacket as previously the 640 x 480 resolution was dropped.

However the 800 x 600 resolution users shouldn't be ignored, and that's why I create a alternative site which will scale to fit their screen. (And fit a 1600 x 1200 resolution screen eaqually as well.)

So I create one site for 1024 x 768 users which is a fixed size and wont scale with the browser and one site that freely scales with the browser for visitors with differing resolutions, smaller or larger.

The main problem with a scaling site is that whilst it's great for vector shapes it's not so good for raster images as these lose definition on scaling.

One further point, I would add an 'Image Loading' text prior to the stereo images being loaded, otherwise it appears nothings happening.

Egg

Apologies again Bill.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Well I originally posted for 800X600 but my siter (who lives in Victoria) has an old monitor (I think a 15") and she complained that she couldn't read the writing so I (shrunk) it to fit 640X480 thus the two sites. . as for dial-up I will have to go back to the drawing board...
    Thanks gor feedback
    I did look for the website branch of the forum and couldn't find it either and figured the majority was done in XaraX/Xtreme so I could post it in gallery.
    Jim
    P.S.
    My apologies if I posted to wrong board section.

Scotty
    No problem. Risto will probably be along and sort it out.
    Meanwhile I've created a xar file based on your backgrounds minus your crest. There are no Xara shadows or bevels created using these tools (as these create bitmaps) but vector created shadows and bevels. If I import this into Flash it creates a 2Kb file. You could add your crest into the next frame.
    Egg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg