Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: a life on the ocean waves

a pirate ship for parahandy......
    and my first plaything with all xaraX

know it's not quite 'right' for a ship & sails, but fun learning how to use xaraX
    nance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ship.jpeg 
Views:	391 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	24228  

I think this looks great for the most part.
    The hull and mast with the flag and skull & crossbones looks like a quick, characterful drawing. The other stuff being dragged along behind the mast clutters it up to some extent, but unless you want it there it could just be covered up to hide some or all of it.
    Trying to redo it would most likely spoil it because you would never recreate those little accidents that went to help make it but just hiding the unnecessary parts would make it into something really worth keeping.
    Its just like any sketch, knowing which are the successful parts and which bits need removing or covering up.
    Derek

nice of you to comment so, Masque. while I'm not very knowledgable on how ship & sails should look I do have a sense of what looks wrong to me.....but if you want to download or show in some other way what parts are wrong and how they otta look that would be helpful (I give you permission to do this)

I don't know how I would re-edit a done 'sketch' or if it's even possible. as I said, brand new to the xaraX scene (I do think as well trying to re-do it would mess it up. it was one experiment in learning how to use X)....oh, no criticism or offense here---since this was one of a first for me in using X nothing happened quickly or would be what I would describe as an accident. took me lots of time and energy
    nance
    Last edited by TwidderBird; 21 March 2006 at 09:31 AM.

Hi, wW like your input there, it's like the Blue Peter Logo (BBC Television Childrens Program) Thank you. Norman.

Twidder thank you too for your effort, I like the figurehead and the flag, as Masue said the rest is a bit of a jumble but it's all in the spirit of art. Over here prizes have been awarded for an un-made bed would you believe and an old broken down wooden shed and another "art" effort was a bare room lit by bright bulbs and a dead sheep floating in embalming fluid all these were not paintings just the real thing and they won first prize, what the rest of the art that was entered must have been like, one shudders to think. the powers that be in charge of the art world have gone mad I think. Norman.

Its not for me to re-work your drawing as it stops being your drawing but here's a very quick idea of what I meant, just getting rid of the excess and keeping the strong points of the drawing, re-arranging them a little for balance.
    Saying that things are accidents isn't an insult, a lot of 'ART' is by virtue of a happy accident, a dribble of paint here or a slip of a chisel there can add something to what would otherwise be quite bland. Many a poor etching has been improved by being left in the acid for too long.
    Textures in a Xara drawing are often the happy accidental coming together of a number of layers of semi transparent colours and fills which work well together; trial and error.
    Derek

Name:	ship.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	24234  
    Last edited by masque; 21 March 2006 at 10:18 AM.

Albacore, just picked up this thread and your ship reminded me of the Ealing Comedy "The Maggie" - well worth a watch on a cold evening.

Paul

masque--I've done enuf art outside of graphics to know that accidents can turn into really nice things. I simply wanted to explain that it was no rush job. and come to think of it, when I started my pirate ship had no intention. just began to see it in how I was making shapes, I guess.

and no, I too don't want you to do my drawing--where's the fun in that but was interested in what key things you would focus on......guess you made that clear see if I can make some changes??
    nance

There's an excellent guest tutorial on creating sea effects by Paul Sonderholm here
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

parahandy's Pirate Ship reconstructed. don't know if she's sea worthy yet?
    nance

Name:	PirateShip.jpeg 
Views:	331 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	24258  

I think it's missing the 'essence' of pirate ship. The hull shape doesn't make me think of a pirate ship at all. You've some interesting ideas with shapes, but I don't see it gelling together - the styling of those large grey sails seems at odds with the rest. Hopefully with revisions, it'll all come together. Don't stop!

Paul