Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bike Challenge

Default Re: Bike Challenge

Haha, easier said than done...
    Preliminary test render with some quick texturing in PI. Now I remember why I hate texturing... wrestling with UV unwrapping (although Blender's UV tools rocks) and battling with the painting of textures afterwards. Just used Photoimpact's chalk brushes to dirty up the thing, mainly. Deliberately kept the model lowpoly for the purpose of using this as an excercise in texturing. That's a good idea, I realize now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	texturetest1.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	23804  

Yea, that's a good approach for testing stuff for sure... I know I have mapped an object, then had to redo everything upon subding... it's a wonky science on it's own, this texturing stuff

ah, if anyone can figure it out it's you gman

keep us posted eh...

and come the rest, Mike and gman are walking away with this here challenge... we need more entries.... hmmm, maybe staiger and his crew of Carraraites will join in the the fun... no better way to sell apps than showing us what they can do

Some great looking competition here.

Instead of just using my Fat Boy, I thought it would fair for me to do another one. So heres what I got so far.

To keep it intresting, I went for an older Harley. This is a 1956 KR Racer

This one is realy killing my computer. It's getting real choppy in there. I had a few more tweaks and details to add but I can't even move around anymore it's so slow...I may just have to go with what I got.

Guess it's time to upgrade my computer again...the wife will be so thrilled.

You would think a duel processer and a GF FX 5600 would handle more than this but I think all the spokes and chain links are too much for it. Anyone got any tips or tricks for getting a little more 'umph' outa my computer without upgrading?

~Liam~

Name:	HD-KR Racer-Test-jpeg.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	23818  

Good, THAT just blew my scooter into the sidewalk... . Some people just have this obsessive need for details... So you never sleep, do you, Liam? Whats the polycount on that thing?
    I got an even crappier pc, so I wouldn't dream of doing something that big. (Nice excuse, too, for lack of patience and talent.. , maybe that's my subconcious reason for sticking with a subperforming pc)...aargh..
    You could try hiding finished parts so that the software wouldn't be redrawing everything all the time. And maybe look if there is a setting for lower quality display on the working window.
    Oops, forgot to post the update on my scooter. That was the primary reason for logging in, but Liam's bike overloaded my brain circuit... . More texturing on the wheels. Went overboard and even used alpha maps for the spaces in the hub.. Subsur smoothing. Adding edgeloops on UV mapped objects didn't seem to do any damage...

Name:	texturetest2.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	23819  
    Last edited by Grafixman; 28 February 2006 at 06:46 AM. Reason: forgot the pic

k, Tirade... that is just sick man Wow... speed modeling bikes
    Looks good so far... keep it going dude, we are behind you all the way on this one...

Gman, I like your scoot You are also getting way too fast in modeling... Keep up the good work man ( on a side note, I almost fell over reading the start of your latest post... "some people just have.... " ... your funny gman

Mike, I am with you on this project... I should have a frame going soon... and then yea, one chunk at a time

Keep it going guys... you rock
    Last edited by gidgit; 28 February 2006 at 04:45 PM.

LoL. Thank you for the compliments. (Not sure some were compliments or just anger...but I'll take em )

Obsessive? Oh maybe a little...but no point in doing something if your not going to do it right. (Theres the moto of the truly obsessive if I ever heard one. )

Managed to squeak out a few more details and clean up the spokes a bit. I think Hex has done it's job, now it's time for Carrara to take over.

** Scooter texture is looking good. Keep it coming G.

~Liam~

Name:	1956 KR Racer-1-jpeg.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	23836  

HaHa, no anger here, Liam. Perhaps some self-buttkicking on my part for being a lazy modeller this time around. But as I said, gotta force myself to improve my texturing ability.
    Is the exhaust pipe really that thin? I'm a complete moron when it comes to big bikes. But yup, this beauty does look like it's ready for rendering. Go, man, go.
    Did a little Googling, and yes, it seems that exhaust pipes were really pipes back then..
    For those interested, here's a site full of bike pics.
    http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/index.htm
    Click on the Pictures link...
    Last edited by Grafixman; 01 March 2006 at 01:14 AM.

great reference site the gm, thanx for this...

texturing the tires Liam? Go go indeed

well, I have found a set of pics from that site, and have settled on this baby... 1914 harley basically had a good set of pics, and it was open enough in concept for me to follow along...

anyways... here's the start of the frame...

Name:	beginbikeframe.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	23841  

a small update... still tweaking to do... and the rest of the bike... lol

seriously though, I kinda think that I really have to rework the spokes pattern... also the back top of the frame where it connects... ah, I was just winging it eh but yea, maybe I will redo some

Name:	bikewheelspokes.gif 
Views:	201 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	23843  
    Last edited by gidgit; 01 March 2006 at 10:12 AM.

Glad you found the site useful, James. So many types to choose from I'm tempted to do another one, but not yet.. gotta learn to finish things started. Too many unfinished projects in my WIP folder, already...
    Hehe, you're in for some complicated modelling ahead... . Boy I'm glad I picked an easy one. At least I'm already 80% done...
    Update on my scooter. Added the lights, stand and some accessories. Not too eager to texture them yet. I think I'll give this a rest for a day or two. Just to get back some perspective on things... . I have this feeling that the back portion is a bit too big, no idea on how to shrink it without messing everything up, though.

Name:	testrender3.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	23845