Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Page Layout for a book

I would take a trip to the book store and look through a book called The Artist Market. I has tons of information on the business market place for artists, which illustrators fall into. You probably want to make sure you understand Copyright as well. Make it clear to your client as whether or not you're releasing the copyright to your illustrations indefinitely or for a specific print run etc. I'm sure Gary Priester, he's more involved in the Xara Xtreme group, can speak to this as he's located in a area of the world known for artists and such. Speaking from experience, artists need to watch their backs sometimes.

Good Luck,

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?
    IP

Default Re: Artist abuse

Yes, I have had my work plagerized and it isn't a good feeling. I have also been cheated out of thousands of dollars in work that was done and received and the check never came.

I may sometimes practice to learn technique by copying another artist's work, however, I never have ever done that for profit. I do things to problem solve, then once I know how to do what I need, I make my own. It is often much more quick to draw from scratch than to try to obtain clipart on line for free and then let CorelDRAW trace it. Then there is time spent to convert it to the right color space and to eliminate lots of parts that are redundant or unnecessary. Quicker to draw in many instances. I go back and forth from DRAW to Xara, Xara italic lines are so very good, then I import it all back into DRAW for the final layout.

There are many business cards down at work and other types of printing, ordered and then never picked up. Lots of wasted man hours. I do like this forum, I talk to other people who are real human beings. Thank you for enduring my rant.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Sally, you can't be too sure we are ALL real human beings, so be careful.
    IP

I know I'm a real human being, although I have a few relatives I'm not sure of.

Drifter, your Avatar is a floating head . . . are you human?

I couldn't resist when I saw your last post.

I have a relative who's a well paid working artist. I can say patrons of the arts are pretty shifty sometimes. Getting terms spelled out in a contract is the only way to protect yourself.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?
    IP

My avatar IS me - not just my head. My wife keeps me in a box. I am just a head. It's kind of hard to work the keyboard, but with Xara it is easy.
    IP

Drifter, think out side the box.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Hi
    I own a Graphic Design and Print shop.
    Use CorelDRAW for doing page layout, InDesign is a waste of money.
    We use CorelDRAW X3 and Xara for all our Graphic Design. InDesign takes time to learn and does not publish to PDF very well, Images always seem to have white border lines around them.
    My advice forget Adobe.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon2
    My advice forget Adobe.
    As my avatar would tend to suggest...
    IP

InDesign is expensive and built to stay that way. Plus it is complicated where it doesn't really have to be. But it has a lot of things in it that is like Pagemaker. I find it hard to paste things exactly where I want, it offsets. I use it but don't like to.

Sally M. Bode
    IP