Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Page Layout for a book

Hi guys and gals,

Questions:

I'm pretty much just learning, and I was wondering if I could use CorelDraw for page layout (like InDesign, or publisher?) maybe???

I need to illustrate and layout a children's book, and I was wondering what is the best program to use. This is my first time doing this, so I have no idea what's best.

Another thing, will there be a problem sending corel files for publishing?

Thanks in advance!
    IP

Default Re: Page Layout for a book

The main question I would ask is how many pages are you planning on doing for your children's book? I would never want to layout a large number of pages, but I've done marketing booklet designs with over 12 pages in Draw just fine in the past. As for you second question, I've never had trouble getting a Draw project printed if I publish it to a PDF for the printer.

Good luck.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?
    IP

Talking Re: Page Layout for a book

Thanks for the reply wombat...

I would say around 25-30 pages max.

Is MS Publisher good enough for page layout, or I need to spend big $$ for InDesign?

Hmm, so I need to print it to PDF and then send to the printing place? How about giving them raw data?
    IP

Stick with CorelDRAW - its page layout and pdf export features will be more than adequate. Most printers will accept pdfs these days.

Also, why not contact the printers who'll be doing the job and confirm what they will take and how best to set the files up for them?
    IP

I don't think you'll need InDesign. As Eagle said, DRAW is just fine for what you described. You won't need to print to a PDF with it, it has a Publish to PDF with Pre-Press settings. It's what I use when I go to press. I really wouldn't mess with Publisher either. I can't speak for the last few years, but it used to be hard to find a good printer that would support it.

Good Luck to you!

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?
    IP

InDesign is expensive and built to stay that way. Not all printers do imposting though the bigger players do. But you have all you need to publish your book in DRAW without a plugin. InDesign requires a plugin to turn facing pages into art ready for a platemaker.

Ask several printers what their requirements are.

CorelDRAW doesn't have a simple option for page numbering, so for smaller books it is alright.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Thanks guys and gals!

I guess I'll stick with Corel for the whole book.

Thanks again!
    IP

Good move! I stick with Corel for just about everything!
    IP

I would advise that if the book is over 40 pages and there are many bitmaps to link the pictures rather than embedding them, that way you can have a longer book without a slow down.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Hi Sally, that's a good advise about linking bitmaps.

I'm thinking of doing all my illustration using CorelDraw. Should I be concerned with file size? can I link *.cdr files to my page layout?

Oh, another thing (for those people who does book illustration for a living) if it's okay to ask. How much do you guys/gals charge per illustration? I haven't done this kind of thing before, the reason I'm asking.

Thanks again.
    IP