Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default CD X3 Emboss Tool

In X3 the "Emboss" tool thats linked with the Bevil tool, does not do what I expected, basically it takes the image and copies it twice, and changes the color...

Is this how its suposed to look, because it does not look embossed to me...

John
    IP

Default Re: CD X3 Emboss Tool

The bevel does work better, if you have used DRAW for years, other presets that did emboss, did about the same way. If you look at is for a tool to add an instant drop shadow, without blur, often used in typography on business cards, newsletters, etc., it has its uses.

You can always rasterize and use the PhotoPaint tools for embossing, they work more along the lines you would think. However, DRAW does best displaying vector effects, whereas bitmap effects are best displayed in PP itself even though you can use many of the same tools within DRAW itself. Just easier for me to double click and use PhotoPaint. I do this for a living and get paid because I can make it look right, using the part of the graphics suite that gives me the best view, just makes sense.

PhotoPaint is not a replacement for Photoshop, but I use it for many things I don't use Photoshop for like removing Moire pattern, and color adjustments are really quite good, the more I use PP, the more I get out of it. But it doesn't work like PS and it lags at times, but it does great metallic text without any filters or styles and if I need a metallic effect, the method yields better results than a plugin.

Plugins are good, but knowing how to adjust the tools to get just the effect you need is even more powerful. There is a learning curve. But it does pay off.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Default Re: CD X3 Emboss Tool

I guess what gets me is the Bevel tool is such an improvement over previous versions, and the emboss tool is a disapointment.

One thing I have noticed is the Bevel tool when broken apart, then converted from bitmap, to vector then you manipulate it you can do some really kick butt stuff..

It is an improvement, I have been using Draw since V5

John
    IP