Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It is at the same time fascinating and frustrating to see the Xarans who come from Corelxara play and find those fascinating things. Because, even though some very- and some less important things still have to be looked after, Xara does have awe-inspiring possibilities.

Still, the new users are left outside in the cold, and I can well imagine that, when you download the trial without having some basic insight in one of the dinosaurs (CorelDRAW, Illustrator, Freehand), you may well never buy because Xara has a quite personal approach, quite probably even a streak of geniality.What can be done?

First of all, you can visit the Xaraxone and look at, or download the Xealots, starting with nr 16. In there you find a very good manual made by upperXaran (though very humble) Gary Priester. Some details have been changed or are overlooked, but these are never vital and the Help files get you out most often. Then, on the same site, and starting from August 2000, you find very elaborate tutorials by the same gentleman.

And last but not least: this being our forum too, let's not sit down, and do it ourselves! I hope the old timers will comment on this initiative and show shorter , better or simply different approaches to our attempts and findings. So new users from all over this blue planet, and even from other Galaxies: unite!

To give the good example, I'll start myself wiyh a basic version of the wonderful Eschering you find elsewhere on the forum. Here we go: (I use Xara 1.0a)

1/ Draw a long, thin, vertical rectangle with the...rectangle tool on the left side of your work space.
    2/ Fill it by selecting it, and with the same selector tool by left clicking on a colour at the base of your
    workspace.
    3/ Now put the selector tool on the edge of the rectangle and left click. You can see the contour
    change. Push the Ctrl button (no fear of launching H-bombs) and drag your mouse to the right
    while holding the left button down. You can only drag horizontally. When you've arrived halfway,
    while holding the left button and the Ctrl down, right click and continue dragging towards the
    right. And rightclick once again when you've arrived at te right side. You now see three identical
    rectangles, perfectly aligned.
    4/ Select the middle one and give another colour (see2/)
    5/ Now choose the blend tool and left click/drag from the left rectangle to the center one, and from there to the right one. You now see five blends between each rectangle. Up left, you see that Xara knows this too. Change the number up there from five to, lets say, 25 or 40, and press return. Wow, this is fascinating! Change the number until no white space is left between the individual rectangles.

6/ Somewhere else on your workspace, you now draw a circle: ellips tool together with Ctrl.
    7/ On the bottomleft of the colour bar, you see a white square with a grid on it, the no-fill colour.
    Select the circle and left-, and then right click on the no fill button. If it weren't for the handles, the
    circle would be invisible (good idea to play with...). There is now a shape, but it is transparant.
    8/ Keep this circle selected or reselect it (if you can still find it), push shift and select the blend you've
    made earlier too. And now, with the sweat dripping on your keyboard, select the blend tool and
    click with a shaking hand on the "blend to curve" button on the infobar, which is located above
    your workspace. If you don't find it: Xara shows the names of the items when you hold the mouse
    over them without clicking. Et bonjour Monsieur Escher, comment allez-vous?

Try this out if you're interested, and PLAY. You love when you play, and you learn more from your mistakes than from your hits. Enjoy.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blend.jpg 
Views:	776 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	16465  

It is at the same time fascinating and frustrating to see the Xarans who come from Corelxara play and find those fascinating things. Because, even though some very- and some less important things still have to be looked after, Xara does have awe-inspiring possibilities.

Still, the new users are left outside in the cold, and I can well imagine that, when you download the trial without having some basic insight in one of the dinosaurs (CorelDRAW, Illustrator, Freehand), you may well never buy because Xara has a quite personal approach, quite probably even a streak of geniality.What can be done?

First of all, you can visit the Xaraxone and look at, or download the Xealots, starting with nr 16. In there you find a very good manual made by upperXaran (though very humble) Gary Priester. Some details have been changed or are overlooked, but these are never vital and the Help files get you out most often. Then, on the same site, and starting from August 2000, you find very elaborate tutorials by the same gentleman.

And last but not least: this being our forum too, let's not sit down, and do it ourselves! I hope the old timers will comment on this initiative and show shorter , better or simply different approaches to our attempts and findings. So new users from all over this blue planet, and even from other Galaxies: unite!

To give the good example, I'll start myself wiyh a basic version of the wonderful Eschering you find elsewhere on the forum. Here we go: (I use Xara 1.0a)

1/ Draw a long, thin, vertical rectangle with the...rectangle tool on the left side of your work space.
    2/ Fill it by selecting it, and with the same selector tool by left clicking on a colour at the base of your
    workspace.
    3/ Now put the selector tool on the edge of the rectangle and left click. You can see the contour
    change. Push the Ctrl button (no fear of launching H-bombs) and drag your mouse to the right
    while holding the left button down. You can only drag horizontally. When you've arrived halfway,
    while holding the left button and the Ctrl down, right click and continue dragging towards the
    right. And rightclick once again when you've arrived at te right side. You now see three identical
    rectangles, perfectly aligned.
    4/ Select the middle one and give another colour (see2/)
    5/ Now choose the blend tool and left click/drag from the left rectangle to the center one, and from there to the right one. You now see five blends between each rectangle. Up left, you see that Xara knows this too. Change the number up there from five to, lets say, 25 or 40, and press return. Wow, this is fascinating! Change the number until no white space is left between the individual rectangles.

6/ Somewhere else on your workspace, you now draw a circle: ellips tool together with Ctrl.
    7/ On the bottomleft of the colour bar, you see a white square with a grid on it, the no-fill colour.
    Select the circle and left-, and then right click on the no fill button. If it weren't for the handles, the
    circle would be invisible (good idea to play with...). There is now a shape, but it is transparant.
    8/ Keep this circle selected or reselect it (if you can still find it), push shift and select the blend you've
    made earlier too. And now, with the sweat dripping on your keyboard, select the blend tool and
    click with a shaking hand on the "blend to curve" button on the infobar, which is located above
    your workspace. If you don't find it: Xara shows the names of the items when you hold the mouse
    over them without clicking. Et bonjour Monsieur Escher, comment allez-vous?

Try this out if you're interested, and PLAY. You love when you play, and you learn more from your mistakes than from your hits. Enjoy.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Henrik,

good idea to post some 'how-to' guides for starters here. BTW, speaking of Escher - check this nice triangle - developed with XARA 2.0.

However, chances are high that he wouldn't have had understand you saying 'Et bonjour Monsieur Escher, comment allez-vous?', because he was Dutch...Maurits Cornelis Escher (1898-1972).

If you 'youngsters' are interested in more about one of the greatest artist of the past century, pls check following sites:

www.mcescher.com/
    (the official M.C. Escher site)
    and
    www.worldofescher.com/

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triangle01.jpg 
Views:	747 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	15242  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Young People could be a very big area where Xara's market could expand. I expect the forthcoming CD will be as good as previous ones so Young People can get on the Xara bandwagon.

It seems to me that Xara's new "marketing folks" should really hit the elemementary and high schools and try to get the word out. Many schools are MAC centric and one of the reasons (besides art instructors being raised of them) is that they are "EASY TO USE". Well that is EXACTLY what Xara is, EASY TO USE ... at least compared to other PC illustration packages. From that point alone Xara may have a chance to make inroads.

Perhaps, besides doing some door knocking, some movies could be developed which target the Young People and as well as to their Teachers. The movies could be "project" based which might include: picking a subject, coming up with a composition, some basic art concepts (ie., light reflection, shadows, a little color theory), and what tools in Xara bag of tricks to use so that both student and instructor could get "enthusiastic"

Hi Jens. Thanks for the beautiful image.
    I know Escher and like his works very much.
    By the way: I'm Flemish, and Dutch is my native language. Flanders being part of Belgium, this French phrase was a way of saying hello to Ivan who is a fellow countryman, although most Belgians are not realyy "nationalists".

grrreeettiiings ERIK [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Erik

Some time back (year before last?), Gary started including some differentiation in proficiency levels in his tutorials. Perhaps it's worth reviewing the Xone tutorials from a newbie standpoint and compiling a list of those that are particularly newbie-friendly.

John

Getting Xara into schools is a very good idea from the standpoint of reaching future Xarans early. However, it would have to be approached in such a way that our favorite program doesn't get a rep as a children's application.

Distribute it as Xara Scholastic, perhaps? In combination with the implementation of plugins/sister apps/extensions [as suggested in another thread] so there's clearly more power and sophistication available to those who want or need it, that might be enough.

Allison

Allison

I did not intend to interfere with Gary's work: it is thanks to his enthusiasm about Xara that I bought the programme without even hesitating. I only try to give new people a hand. I tried all his tuts and learned a lot. His manual gives details on PC'ing I didn't know of, for instance the underscored letters one sees everywhere and which can be activated in combination with the alt button. Never read that before.
    I'm new to Xara myself, but at least, I worked a little with DRAW. If you know nothing about a vector programme, you might well become confused and give up, meaning you'd miss all these exciting things in Xara.

By the way do you know a short way to make pies and arcs in Xara? I often use them and can't figure it out.

John (no offense meant)

I also didn't want to tell the Xara commercial people how to run their business: that's their problem. Mine is mainly the slicing that does'n work correctly, and the gif transparancy, but that seems to be fixed.
    I can well imagine that the tension there at HQ is very very big, and that the release of the Draw10 suite (remember they loosened themselves from Corel) which, as an upgrade costs less than one and a half times the price I paid for a full Xara alone (vat in Europe), made them hurry. Standing on one's own legs isn't always easy.
    I only know one thing about selling (I'm an artist): people do not buy a programme or a work, or a car, or a PC: they buy an illusion, a dream. Insist on that aspect. Xara now has the "insider" mystery. One might nearly speak of a brethren, a coven. No other programme, be it as popular as it may, has ever had the honour of having its users call themselves Xarans. I know not of any "Brycers" or "Photoshoppers" or Microsofties" or "Corelians" (sounds good).
    And to become part of that "enlightened" group is verrry attractive.
    You can play on mass selling, style MS or on something exclusive, choose between the mass selling custom-built car or a rare handmade one... Still, and there you have a point: one has to survive without B.Gates' money.

Thanks for your comments. By-the-way the word "Corelians" has been around few years and is used regularly by them. I understand what you wrote in the above posting.

Because I've noticed how impressed people are, ESPECIALLY KIDS, when they look over my shoulder and see how cool the new tools in X work, it seemed to me that this could be the one PC based program that could break into the MAC based market in the our public schools (which is signficant here in the US). There are lot of talented artistic-youth out there that all of us "Xarians" could benefit from if they were using Xara (or at least knew about it).

You are 100% right. It is without any doubt the child in us all that is attracted by those fills and blends around curves etc. It is this what makes us creative. And there are indeed lots of kids that are far more talented then we can ever become (a point for the morphic resonance theory?)

perhaps because it is such a fascinating plaything we're not keen on sharing it with others. and thanks about the Corelians: I did not know, and thought I had invented something. O vanity! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I am like a child while working with Xara X and I think that's one way to bring generations (and also belgian people) toghether !!!

I try also to convince the searchers (chiefly botanists) in my environment that Xara is an interesting and easy to learn program for those who need some presentation (posters). One simple example of its possibilities was the funny DNA I have presented in one of my posts. I have sent it to a woman friend in a genetic lab (we study toghether genealogy of roses; me with morphology and her with DNA) and she was amazed !!!

On the other hand, I am not elitist and I think this is not a shame for a nice and powerful program like Xara to become popular !!!

Perhaps another idea (more superficial but funny): Xara's programmers are extremely modest. My proposition is a little video presentation (humoristic like english people can do) which shows them and their program at work, speaks about the history of the product (from Archimedes computers, ...) and last but not least presents the work of Gary and the entousiastic forum !!! Perhaps could it be shown on TV too ???

Another problem (not so important for me) is language. I was happy to see the first french user of the forum some weeks ago. I know that french people (and I appreciate them too) have some inhibition to learn other languages (but I must be very modest, Erik, because despite I have many excellent flemish friends I don't practice very well dutch, which is for those who don't know that, one of the three principal languages of our very little but busy country !!!)

I think users must contribute to increase the popularity of quality products.

Kindly yours,
    ivan