Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have been trying to produce a very simple line drawing for a background to be used on a web page, but can't seem to get this right.

I drew a line, duplicated it, and made several copies. I then went to "Arange>Align>Distribute equi-spaced" and got even spacing between the lines.

It looks great at 2000% zoom, but starts to degrade at 1000%, and by the time it is at 200% zoom, it looks like it was never distributed.

So, I am not seeing the obvious here. Could someone please cut the learning curve for me and tell me what it is?

Much appreciated .......

[This message was edited by Anna on January 13, 2001 at 09:27 PM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lines2000.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	3128  

I have been trying to produce a very simple line drawing for a background to be used on a web page, but can't seem to get this right.

I drew a line, duplicated it, and made several copies. I then went to "Arange>Align>Distribute equi-spaced" and got even spacing between the lines.

It looks great at 2000% zoom, but starts to degrade at 1000%, and by the time it is at 200% zoom, it looks like it was never distributed.

So, I am not seeing the obvious here. Could someone please cut the learning curve for me and tell me what it is?

Much appreciated .......

[This message was edited by Anna on January 13, 2001 at 09:27 PM.]

Sorry, rookie ... wanted to add more images, but I couldnèt. Perhaps, this may help illustrate what I mean. Seems to me that the distribution is not quite perfect, and so the error is more evident the more you zoom. Anyway, I still want to do it, so would like any suggestions on how to do this in Xara.

Name:	composite.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	18771  

Anna
    I think your problem is as described below:
    The lines are distributed equally as you can see when you zoom to 4000 %. The problem is with the screen resolution, a line can only be one screen pixel wide with a one screen pixel gap. So to appear correct on screen (at 100% zoom) if there are more lines than can be represented within the available pixels you get the false looking image on screen. Try printing it out and it should print correctly. Screen resolution is usually 96 dpi where as printers should be able to handle 300 dpi or greater. So it's just the limitation of the screen to display a correct image.
    Hope this helps
    Egg

[This message was edited by Egg Bramhill on January 13, 2001 at 10:19 PM.]
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Name:	screen_rse_antialiased.gif 
Views:	251 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	1815  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

If you want the image for display on a monitor (i.e for web purposes) keep the lines and gaps at 1 pixel distances and sizes and choose minimum anti-aliasing. I still think there could be a problem on a Mac monitor as I believe they have a different dpi than the 96 dpi of a PC
    Egg

[This message was edited by Egg Bramhill on January 13, 2001 at 10:22 PM.]

Name:	screen_rse_minimumaliased.gif 
Views:	243 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	5003  
    Egg

Of course! You are correct. Thanks for explaining the problem to me, and for the solution. I almost hated to ask, knowing that it was something simple that I was missing.

Thanks Again
    Anna
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

No problem
    Egg
    Egg