Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning 3D

Default Turning 3D

I've created a logo using Xara Extreme.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...ForWildcat.jpg

I want to turn this into a 3D image that rotates. Can Xara 3D do this? If not any ideas how I can?

Any help is apreciated.

p.s. Sry about the size I'm at work and can't re-size it.

Default Re: Turning 3D

X3D can rotate objects, think of them as text characters though. You can rotate letters, or symbols - say an outline of a duck - but you couldn't rotate a photo of a duck.

Easiest way to rotate your image would be to save it as a bitmap and apply it to say a bullet point or circle wingding as a texture?

Some guys have produced massively impressive and very detailed 3D objects but it's more of a personal challenge than what X3D was made for. Depends if you want a near-3D image or a life's dedication to the project!

Example of above, your image saved as a texture and applied to a bullet point character •
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Daniel,
    I currently own Xara Xtreme and am considering X3D. Your example appears as something I would be interested in accomplishing regarding 'logos'. I am confused when you said:

"Easiest way to rotate your image would be to save it as a bitmap and apply it to say a bullet point or circle wingding as a texture?"

Can all of this be done within X3D or would I need addition applications?

Thanks,
    Bob

Wilde,

What a great looking image.

Thanks, and thanks all for the help. I've managed to get it on a disc very nicley now. 1 last thing I want a diffrent colour one on the back. Any ideas how? I already have the Image.

Thanks again.

Wilde, I don't really use X3D much so my answer may not be particularly elegant. I would suggest using the same settings but changing the texture bitmap, then export your second animation (so you have one with the front rotating, and another with the back rotating), and then import them both into an Xtreme document. You'll end up with twice as many frames as you need - delete half of the front ones, and half of the back ones, before you re-export.

Sorry I've no time for a step-by-step, but hopefully with that logic you can figure the rest out: Shift+F12 will open the Frame Gallery, it should be obvious after that.

BobMoyer, you can get a trial of X3D to play with from the Xara website, but to answer your question, Wilde's image could obviously be created in Xtreme, and from what he posted, I used only X3D to produce what I posted: no other applications needed.

Basically in X3D you can apply a bitmap "texture" to your 3D object, think of say a photo of a plank of wood - you'd be able to make a wood grain 3D effect. Same here, but using a flat surface and Wilde's picture as the "texture".

To get a different image on the back of your shape, see the mini-tutorial in the thread http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=14417
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

You can copy your current rotating disc into a second page in X3D, then select the copy and apply your different texture to it. In the animation dialogue you should tick the Front Face Only box, and set the number of frames to half what you had. Xara3D will then run the rotation for the first page, using the number of frames you set, then flip automatically to the second page and run the animation again with that, then seamlessly return to the first page again. Each page will be seen for as many frames as you set.

In the one attached, I have two rings in each page, to allow an inner bevel between the metal rim and the glass button. Both have the same texture. In the second page, I have reversed the texture for the rim, and replaced the glass button texture with another for illustration.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oops, Hi, Bill, you posted while I was composing my reply.

Mike