Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default how to tidy up a scan

Hi, I am using corel 9 for inputing .plt files to a computerised mount cutter for use with framing pictures. I have an unusual shape to cut a mount for, but when I attempt to do this the cutter follows every imperfection in the original scan. I have freehanded drawn around the object and scanned it into corel and tried to do a trace to get a nice sharp clean input for the cutter. This doesnt seem to give me a nice output tho. Has anyone any suggestions on how I can get a clean outline trace of the scanned drawing please? As you can tell I am new at using corel 9.
    Thanks
    IP

Default Re: how to tidy up a scan

You probably have to redraw the shape manually with the pen or bezier tool. Automated vector tracing usually ends up with too many nodes and parts which becomes straight segments where they should be curved and vice versa...
    The rule of the thumb with vector drawing is to use as few nodes as possible to get a clean shape. This requires practice, though... but I'm sure you can do it.
    IP

One way to tidy up a scan is to use PhotoPaint and increase the contrast to where you get a nearly black and white image. You can use then the threshold command which converts to black and white. Then use the vector tracing. Select all nodes and then you should be able to delete some, there then should be a slider to reduce the number.

Sometimes you have to manually delete some and insert others.

Or redraw the shape.

Often takes about the same lenght of time.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Thanks for the advice. I am slowly getting there. Guess I need to find time (yeah sure) to be able to sit down and learn Corel.
    IP