Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CorelDraw X3

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Default Re: CorelDraw X3

OK, thank you Sally, that makes sense in America. In Europe a 4c printing is cheaper than spot color printing, sometimes even cheaper than b/w printing - at least in Germany and Spain. It's weird, I know, but that's the way technology develops. But you are right, many large companies and city halls etc still run spot color, but the process is shifting because of the capabilities of new printing equipment for distributed printing, based on high speed laser printers - it offers much more flexibility.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--
    IP

Thumbs up Re: CorelDraw X3

I too use alot of Spot color in my ads, Its probably a US thing, as I know my Europe Ads always have Full color, where my US ads it really depends on the Publication... Go fig.

Of course I advertise in the Aviation industry which is not lucritive to start with, and so keeping costs down is a prioity...

ONE MORE THING about X3 that I really like...

If you used Artisitc text in ANY version previously you will know what I am talking about. In V12 and prior, when you changed the Horizontal alignment from Left to Center the center point was moved to the previously left edge of the text, now when you do it the Text does not shift, rather it stays where it was and centers like it should.

John
    IP

The process that is changing it isn't going to change one thing, that Americans are damn cheap. They want value. And whether a design is done by someone who knows how to make the most out of color or by your everyday graphic artist with the most rank program around, O.K. Microsoft Word, everyone is on an even footing, at least they should be---there will be no spot color and Pantone will curl up its toes and expire. And no one will do Thermography anymore. No automotive shops doing that, I can see that. All full color cards done in Word with reversals in Times New Roman. I suppose in this Brave New World, your average Joe Blow can understand just why you don't use a 6pt Roman face because it fills in even on an offset press because of paper being porous in a reversal. And they will just be happy clams over it. Wrong, the printer will eat it again. It doesn't sound profitable yet to me.

There are lots of reasons why printers in the U.S. can't afford to upgrade as you'd like them to, the main reason is that the customer is always right and even when you print it the way they asked, if they have an error in it and or they proofed it and there is still and error in it, it is always your fault. And then if it is not they go to the next printer, that is the fear. Or that they have racked up such a big bill that if you can't get them to pay, so they just go to the next printer. This only happens with 25-30% of the customers and with that kind of on-going loss, most small printers have older equipment.

And of course the silk screen industry will follow suit and all people who know how to do logos will be out of work because the ignorant with their 72 dpi images will have taken over and can't figure out how come their silk screening is looking bad. But maybe I won't be here, too disgusted to give out anymore advice.

Fabulous new world. When people think of Staples and Kinkos as a place to do their printing, they don't know anything about the print industry and quite frankly, college students turned out with nothing but a steady diet of Adobe programs will push that forward, not knowing how to do any color separatation at all, that is what will change the industry, ignorance. You should see the stuff we get from the graphics department at the college. They think Photoshop does great type. Actually if they knew how to make their .pdf, leave the layers and make the whole publication black and keep their vector type, no they are sure that the printer can handle their color separation. Don't separate Photoshop if you want vector type. Use a coloring layer above it and get rid of it before making your .pdf, then you have vector type. You'd think the college would know this.

Jens, I am just stupid.

And the ignorant will inherit the earth.

But the most people are used to the print industry now aren't going to recommned this change. Not because they don't think mom and pop designs are horrid which they are more than not and offset four color could keep them working, it is because you just don't go and buy a new printing press every day, and the press usually means a new pressman and they make a ton more than graphic artists. But if the graphic artist doesn't do their job right, well the output isn't going to be acceptible. Somehow the steady stream of guest workers entering Southern California are all qualified pressman, so of course this won't up anyone's prices. Understanding that you have to charge more to pay for that expense and the on going nonsense that the printer puts up with, this is the reason we are up to our ears in four color work, only on job runs of 1,000 pieces does it make sense and the alternative is now color copies, and they can run off of Publisher and anything else RGB but they don't take PrintShop files, gee whiz! You have to go to a pricey trade school to learn to run a press and they deserve their wages. I don't get my hand cut off by my computer if I move the wrong way. I don't wear my wedding ring on
    as a necklace to keep my hands out of the press.

We do send work out for gangruns and there are people out there, printers printers doing work for less because they do it in quantity. And they get by with hiring people who can't figure out too much, you better get them just what they need because if you don't the work will not come out right. Gee, I still have a job correcting other people's work. Do that at least an hour or two on a daily basis. Even four color work done in Illusrator, did you know that some people don't know that a U.S. business card is 2" x 3.5" ? You tell them 1/16" bleed. You get all kinds of bleed.

Perhaps the Europeans are dealing with smarter people but judging from the headlines, the new influx of people into Europe, there again, the ignorant taking over.

There are also the people who are sick of the design work of Kinko's then defraud the printer of design time taking a design that they did not pay for and printing it even though it is not top quality on their own desktop printer.

But judging from when I tell people how to do their own work when it is submitted, we still end up eating it, even when the results are bad and it is not our fault. They don't understand resolution unless it is a New Year's one to get better value at the printer.

Ignorance is bliss or so I've been told. And my next top flight job will be at 7 -11 because I truly don't know anthing. Of course, I can do CAD so I will find more gainful employment. I don't think builders and the industry really want someone making parts who cannot be precise.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Spot color has its niche. There are some colors you can't get with CMYK that a solid pigment can. Bright neon colors, metallic colors etc. Here in the US, prices on full color haven't come down enough to throw those spot color jobs out yet.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?
    IP

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Sally!

Stop it! I didn't mean to write an offence - you are absolutely correct. And you are right about Europe with the downhill economy - especially Germany. I just mentioned the facts.

Let's face it: most printing companies in Germany (those who survived the last decade) purchased new and newer and newest equipment to be ahead of the competition. Then they have to lower prices - which will drive them sooner or later out of biz.

But let's face it: why should I take all the hassle with spot colors if a 4c print costs the same or is even cheaper?

I have to fight with the same customers as you, believe me. The customer wants a certain green from a snippet he turned in. But if it's printed he yells and tells us: that's definitely not 'my' green.

Let's face it: every a..hole thinks he is a designer because Corel was installed on his PC. Or because he knows how to drop images in Word & Co. Every a..hole thinks he is a great photographer, because his 3 megapixel digicam delivers such fantastic results - but he never heard about dpi, lpi, screen angles etc. He thinks: well, if I can print it on my $ 49 inkjet, it can't cost much more to have it printed in offset.

<yawn> I could write books about it.

I'm developing products. I know how to handle CAD. But there is always a bookkeeper or beancounter who pretends to know better. Too many smart brains running around!

And when I ask them why they didn't come up with the idea, the answer is: I almost did...

Let's face it: making a living on design these days is almost like commiting suicide. No value in the biz anymore. The Chinese companies offer new product development for free if you send them a contract to manufacture the products. And so on...

If you are not in a large company, you better start selling Nurnberger Sausages or find someone who will promote you
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--
    IP

Yikes! Looks like my previous post got right in the middle of the wrong spot. If only I had posted it just a minute before.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?
    IP

I don't have to worry about being replaced. My boss thinks I am able to solve every problem, not always right off the bat. Plus I am doing twice the load of the last graphic artist.

I am a problem solver.

Sorry, I am not feeling well, didn't mean to vent, been having the flu and working through it, my husband has bronchitis and after four virtually sleepless nights so he could recooperate, I came down with it. Hard to focus when I am so stressed. That and I could use a transfusion right about now. Menopause is so much fun. NOT!

Learning more than what's in the book and finding new ways to apply it, is what really is fun. Of course, if I ever leave. I have no idea if the next one to pick up the pieces could figure out how some of what I have done has worked.

Irregardless of the program, I take some from all the programs I know to make the whole work, I just know how to take the best of what each is offering, and make a finished product under a deadline. Hardly ever missed a deadline except when there was an equipment failure. Not bad.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP