Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CorelDraw X3

Default CorelDraw X3

http://www.corel.com/img/home/home_launch_X3_topa.jpg

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...me=Corel3/Home

i downloaded the trial to test

but i don't think it has many new features !!

i want to hear your thought about this new version

====
    IP

Default Re: CorelDraw X3

My main concern before I buy is the changed node editing - anyone know what that's all about?
    IP

Basically there is a color change and node editing is pretty much the same and if you don't like dynamic guides turned on, you can turn them off. You can do that under the View Menu.

The advantage of dynamic guides is when you have to duplicate something and you need the duplicate right where you want it, right the first time. My two favorite are dynamic guides and snap to object, when used together, work quite well to absolutely position correctly items to the page.

But I don't have them on all the time.

The most useful way of employing them for me is in doing impostitions. I usually do my design for customer approval 1-up, then double-click the rectangle tool, this gives the page an outline. Ctrl-A, Ctrl-G, Ctrl-C or -X and paste in my two up or whatever imposition. Then with these turned on, just snaps really great to the page border. I have my snap turned up to high, BTW. Then use the transform palette to duplicate with offsets I need. Ctrl-A, Ctrl-U, then I get rid of my trim lines. This way I am alway right on for cutting.

I also like to have node tracking enabled for most things, this option is not available by default, but you can drag it from the Options Menu to your tool bar. It saves time, but I turn it off when it gets to be a nuisance.

I control DRAW to my liking that way.

DRAW has a new bevel tool and it can do some cool things and it works in most cases with spot color which is a big plus.

The new changes to Trace is a big advantage to creating a more usable trace and in the correct color space from the get go.

I do like refinements to PhotoPaint.

But, DRAW can be more sluggish.

Here's a sample of what is possible.
    This is cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bevels.jpg 
Views:	1340 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	23398  
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Thanks Sally

I also posted this over at Graphics Unleashed: http://www.unleash.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=47

Is the clipart set different from earlier versions or is it all just a repeat?

Any new fonts?

The new bevel effect - is that in Paint or DRAW?

Mark
    IP

The new bevel effect is not on the tool bar but can be activated under the Effects menu in which case it open a docker. You can learn to use it by playing with it.

You can use it with spot colors, or apply effects to it if rasterized.

The process for the metallic type is first using the bevel tool, rasterize in grayscale w/ tranparent background. Then you can access the tone curve either from inside of DRAW or PP, they work the same. In tone curve, by creating various arched curves, mostly they resemble a capital letter "M", you get a very good metallic effect. If in PP, the preview is immediate, in DRAW, you press the preview button to update the view. Then change modes to RGB in PP or in DRAW to RGB bitmap 300 dpi and using the new bitmap adjustmens, create a gold color with tint and temperature sliders. Or in PP, you can colorize the metallic type with the color hue. In PP, you need to always create a selection for most things or create selection from object. You can do marvelous bevels with Bevel Boss and then applying Plastic under Texture Effects. If applying Plastic, expand the canvas so the effect is not cut off.

The examples shows except for the last on has an outward contour applied to a duplicate of the type moved to the back.

As far as the clipart, that would come on the CD, I have not purchased X3 so I can't answer that, but every version of DRAW has had it's own clipart, and there has alwasy been new clipart and fonts before.

I checked to see the .pdf options have changed for X3, additionally you can save .pdf with security. The spot color test I did on the fourth bevel made a successful .pdf with proper spot color separation. The effects can be saved downward, I tried saving to 12.0 format and i could open my file without a hiccough, however, the spotcolor separation only holds true for X3 which it is understandably unique to it and not to 12.0. Color Management seems to be ontrack, no significant changes on screen between what I did in X3 and the output to .pdf.

If this holds true that will be an awesome difference as there is a glitch in 12.0 and sometimes color management works great, and other times I just can't figure it out. Couldn't be I am having a blonde moment? Hair is blonde, brain isn't.
    Last edited by sallybode; 06 February 2006 at 03:26 PM.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

There appears to be a clipping bug that I've found:

We're following it here: http://www.unleash.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1458

Anyone encountered this?
    IP

Thanks for the heads up, I normally don't copy and then paste into PhotoPaint, I convert to the bitmap the dpi I need and then edit bitmap, doing it this way, there is no clipping. I would never have found the problem.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

There is an Err
    I can't type Vietnamese with this type of Font .Vn in COrel X3
    But In Corel 12 I can type it very easy - very Cool
    IP

Hi
    If you want to know whats new in CorelDRAW X3.
    Go to Help - Highlight whats new, and then choose your version, up to Ver 9.
    Corel will then highlight everything thats new since the the version you picked.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sallybode
    Thanks for the heads up, I normally don't copy and then paste into PhotoPaint, I convert to the bitmap the dpi I need and then edit bitmap, doing it this way, there is no clipping. I would never have found the problem.
    I still get the clipping if I do it that way... Can't wait for the fix
    IP