Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Xtreme and Fireforws/Flash interoperability

Hi,

I am currently evaluating Xara X. So far, Xara is by far better than Fireworks.

However, a major concern for me is being able to used my drawings in flash. I know that I can import them as bitmaps, but I don't really like that.

When I make vector graphics in Fireworks, I can bring them into flash and they still act like vectors.

So my question is: Is there a way to import vectors into either flash or fireworks (as vectors)? As long as I could import into either, would be fine since I can import into flash from fireworks.

I was also wondering if there is a way to import Inkscape vectors as well as export to Inkscape vectors.

Thanks.

Default Re: Xara Xtreme and Fireforws/Flash interoperability

Hi helpmhost and welcome.
    Exporting vectors to Flash is quite straight forward. I tend to use the .swf export from Xara. This imports nicely into Flash with certain limitations which I'll expand on further if you want. Extreme also lets you export as .pdf which seems equaly as good and can maintain the layers as well.
    Let me know if you require any further help.
    Regards
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Could you please expand on how to best export for flash and PDF?

How would I go about importing it so that I can work with the graphics once in flash?

If you don't mind, could you also go into what the limitations would be and what features would be included?

Thanks a lot for your help and quick response.

Thumbs up Re: Xara Xtreme and Fireforws/Flash interoperability

XaraX and Xtreme both export brilliantly to swf for importing to the library or on the stage in Flash. Prior to Xara's superb swf export I used to export to illustrator and import from Ill into flash as eps. A pain but it worked.
    Now you simply select your desired artwork and export to swf. Too easy.

Fireworks is indeed a great art program and a pity if Adobe shelves it, but it's not nearly as conducive to drawing as xara, and its complexity takes time to master. Life's too short; time better spent learning something more useful like swift3D.. And I find freehand drawing in Fireworks is very limiting compared to Xara. Its better as an effects/filter/photo editing thing, not an art program.

So, as most of my drawings end up in Flash I like to start everything in Xara because it is so versatile and open-ended for vector drawing; you can draw anything (in vectors) in this program which is what makes xara unique, and export just about the exact thing you drew into flash.

The limitations in drawing something in Xara are the following:

1. Inability to draw something due to user incompetence

The limitations in exporting something to swf (as vectors of course) from Xara are the following:

1. Flash cant handle xaras transparent gradients tool
    2. Flash cant handle Xaras blurred outlines tool

simple workaraound.. draw your vector design as complex and fluid as you wish in Xara (only xara gives you that chance) but keep fills simple... flat and multigradients as complex as you like, no transparencies. And stay off that blur outlines tool.. if want blur, use blends instead, gives same result and more usable.
    Then on import to flash you see your drawing complete on a single layer as a collection of grouped shapes; copy/paste each grouped shape to its own layer and create as a symbol. Then you can continue editing them in flash.

Just got Xtreme and did a test... PDF seems to export from x into flash as bitmap. I dont do bitmaps so pdf export to flash not much use for me. I hardly use PDF myself... only useful for printing or to get the drawing into Illustrator; but ai imports to xara well enough anyway.

Q

No problem. As stated earlier you can export / import via either .swf or .pdf.

I've always used the .swf method and it works excellently. If you have a vector drawing in Xara, you can select all or part of it, and from the file menu select 'export', and from the drop down menu, under 'Save as type' choose Flash(swf).

TIP: If you're going to be doing a lot of export/import between the two programs, create a new folder named 'Xara Exports' and save the exports in this folder. You only need one file in the folder, 'xara_export.swf'. Now every time you export a swf file from Xara, name it 'xara_export.swf' and overwrite the previous one. You only need to use this file once, so it's far better to keep overwriting it, than fill up your hard drive with loads of spurious files that you only ever required for a one off transfer.

Back to the plot. In Flash, choose import, browse to your file and choose either 'Import to Stage' or Import to Library'.

In the main 99% of the time the vector will import just as it was in Xara, with some medium sized proviso's. I list them below:

Strokes (lines): This is probably the biggest problem area. Depending on how you're going to use the graphic this may or may not matter. The best way to see this problem is in Xara, choose the clipart gallery, go to Transport and drag the 'Galleon' file onto the page. Export it via swf and import it into Flash. Notice how the rigging has much thicker lines? The lines are actually the same width as in Xara, it just appears that Flash's rendering engine can't render them any thinner. Workaround: If you're creating an image for export to flash, remember this and when you draw a shape give it no line width, clone it, give it a line width of .25pt, Arrange/Convert line to shape. This way you end up with two shapes for each object, the inner fill and the outer fill (what was your line). It sounds complicated but you soon get the hang of working this way.

Scaling: If you export a 100 x 100 pixel square from Xara it imports into Flash as 75 x75 pixels. This is down to Flash having it's roots in the Mac. I use a template in Xara which gets over this, so when I export a 100 x 100 pixel square it imports the same size.

Feathering: Flash doesn't import feathering. So you'll either need to select the object in Flash and use it's own Shape/Soften fill edges option or create a blend in Xara which gives the same effect.

Bevels & Shadows: These are bitmaps in Xara and import as such into Flash. I find it best to create your own vector bevels and shadows in Xara, then export.

Fills: Most fills work fine except those that Flash doesn't have itself, like four cornered. These can be imported as bitmaps.

Transparency: Flat and Linear transparency export fine, but not Flashes more exotic transparency types.

Text: It's best to create the text directly within Flash.

And that's about it. I've been back and forth editing this and I've noticed Q has answered as well. On the PDF path, it will import vectors but in an unfathomable way. If you select the Galleon used earlier and export it as a pdf, then import it into Flash every single shape imports as a bitmap! It seems that it's even more fussy when it comes to gradient fills. However if you keep the shapes very simple it will import them as vectors. I think I'd only use this method of transfer if I wanted to maintain layers.

Regards

Egg
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 18 January 2006 at 02:23 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I just tried to export to SWF (I can't believe I didn't see that when I first looked). It works just as I wanted.

Thanks to both for your help.

helpmhost
    No problem.
    Egg
    Egg

lots of good tips here.. got it well covered there, Egg.

re Inkscape, I note it saves to svg.
    Interesting aside, Im using handlix draw on a palm tungsten E to draw cartoon stuff out in the field (ie: under tree, by pond in semi shade, no computer. bliss.) and when I get back to the computer to transfer vector images which are svg, paste em into flash and they are exactly the same vectors; editable, still with minimal points etc. No other program accepts them as anything other than wmf with all those annoying disconnected lines.

So copy/paste the svg straight into flash most likely work with Inkscape?
    - - Just tried this and flash wont recognise Inkscape's svg files. Can drop it into Illustrator then export to flash. But xara is really all you need to draw vector originals for flash.

cheers
    Q
    Last edited by qmr; 20 January 2006 at 01:12 AM.

one more thing..

It would really make my day if xara made a very very simple cut down version - just drawing pen and simple/gradient fills, to run on a Palm.

Theres nothing available thats much good yet.

Q