Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Spurious internal error

I've been working on Gary's GREAT tutorials, most recently the tree and grass one. I had been saving regularly, and even used Save As once. However, I was just about complete - actually I WAS complete - when I decided to try and add a linear transparency to the multi-bitmapped tree bottom so it would blend into the grass. All of a sudden I got some type of Exception at someplace error and the prg shutdown. I re-opened it and now everytime I try and open that file, I can see a thumbnail of a spot I was at prior to trying the linear transparency and the file will NOT open. I now get this:
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...er/_Image1.jpg

There's the thumbnail to show that at least PART of my work is there, but why can I no longer open it?
    I ran CCleaner and then a registry cleaner and then restarted the whole kit and kaboodle and still the same thing.
    Unfortunately, my most recent Save As was way back in the beginning.
    Any ideas?
    I really don't care about this particular file, but I would like to know how to prevent this in the future.

Default Re: Spurious internal error

Drifter,

If you do a search for "Spurious Internal Error" you will find a few threads about it... In short - your file is lost to the world.

I have had it happen to me once or twice also. Luckily the files where quite simple, but should it ever happen to a file I use for multiple drawings... *Blind rage* would not cover it...

What's scary about this one, is that nobody knows why it happens and what you can do to prevent it (unless I missed that solution... Anyone?)

Luckily it is extremely rare... But still, getting heart palpitations when you open an important file should not be necessary. Saving often doesn't help, but saving with different file names as your progress through your drawing ensures that you can go back to an earlier version.

I'm curious as to why the Open File box even shows a thumbnail. It must be there...

THe thumbnail is just a small (GIF?) bitmap copy of your file, seeing it doesn't mean your file is valid. How big is your file? Try importing it into Xtreme rather than opening it, or try opening it in Xara X1 or X.

wow, that import idea got me a LOT further:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../treeerror.jpg

i don't have any other xara except xtreme - i am brand new to xara - i don't suppose that since i purchases xtreme i am now "entitled" to download the previous versions for free, eh???

(just asking...)

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=-
    i don't suppose that since i purchases xtreme i am now "entitled" to download the previous versions for free, eh???
    Suspect not, I've asked the same twice with no answer. Some websites were still selling X1 last time I looked though. Xtreme's cheaper than X1 partially because they stripped out Pantone support which cost money for licencing so I think that's the reason why not.

Upload your .xar here and I'm sure someone with X1 or X will give it a go for you.

Thanks Daniel, but THIS TIME it's not important. I was just doing a tutorial... learning. I really wanted to also learn what to do if this happens again. I shall certainly make better use of SAVE AS from now on.