Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Dpi.....?

Cool Dpi.....?

Using Xara X3D, can I change the DPI of the image before I start? If yes, how?

Also I have one image that I would like to convert from PNG to a vector. Is there anyone that would be willing to convert this for me?

Thanks for everyone who views the post and BIGGER THANKS for those that reply!!!

Default Re: Dpi.....?

Welcome to Talkgraphics 23hitman.

Your question would be more appropriate in the Xara3D forum. Xara3D is a program for creating web graphics and not graphics for print. DPI is Dots Per Inch and is usually a printers measurement. PPI is Pixels Per Inch and is a screen resolution. Xara3D doesn't have a way to set DPI/PPI. They default to the PPI resolution for Windows which is 96ppi.

If you want to post your png file in the Xara3D forum, someone may be willing to create a vector version for you.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: Dpi.....?

As Soquili mentioned, ppi is the measurement for pixel images. But resolution--the number of pixels per inch--is inversely proportional; that is, you increase resolution (using something like Photoshop) by decreasing dimensions (measured in inches or cm). For example, a 2" by 3" @ 300ppi image can also be a 4" by 6" @ 150 ppi image without changing the pixel count or file size--it's 600 by 900 pixels, 1.54MB regardless. And the bigger the pixel count, the better your opportunity to increase resolution.

Soquili's right that you can't control resolution, it's screen resolution, but you can indeed increase the saved file size. You press Alt+R to resize your canvas in X3D. But you get another chance to save to a different size when you export.

My Best,

Gare
    Last edited by Gare; 12 January 2006 at 09:38 PM.