Hey folks,

There are times when I want to quickly sketch something so that I can send an image file to someone for their review. When I say "sketch", I mean the traditional sense: pencil (or pen) and paper. I say this because I expect that using a tablet takes some getting used to (e.g. you draw on the tablet but see the results on screen); I should point out I have no experience whatsoever using a tablet.

I'd like the ability to take the imported image and then modify it later (e.g. to apply fills, different brush strokes, shadows, etc.)

What are the import capabilities of Xara X(1/treme)? Can it import directly from a scanner? Will it convert drawn lines into xara lines? I realise that it's feasible to create a new layer and manually trace over the top, but this sounds like a lot of effort.

I am sure folks here have lots of experience with tablets or scanners... I am looking for something portable (to slip into case next to notebook PC), and something that doesn't cost the earth (£50 to £100?). Any recommendations?

tia