Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: which do you prefere ?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Photoshop

11 73.33%
  • Illustrator

1 6.67%
  • Don't know

3 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Photoshop VS Illustrator

True. I still stand by photoshop though especally in my profession. Photshop to me is an alround program where as Illustrator seems to be more professionalised.
    IP

When I eat soup - I use a spoon, and when I eat Prime Rib - I use a fork and knife. Or as mention - comparing the two, is like comparing apples and oranges - a completely pointless excercise!

Scalable graphics, spot colours, and pinpoint accuracy path operations -- Illustrator. "Manipulating" bitmaps and painting/drawing "natural media style" (or in combination) -- Photoshop. At least when comparing the two (there are a great number of alternatives that can be used as substitutes/complements/speed-ups to what you need to do). And a few are present in different forums here at Talkgraphics).

Me (of the two mentioned) - Illustrator 9 (functionality wise I would not upgrade unless PDF files becomes an issue for me) and Photoshop 7 (functionality wise would not upgrade unless digital photography is something I got "really" in to, and retaining/manipulating the gamult of 16 bit files became an issue).
    Last edited by RTK; 13 January 2006 at 07:47 AM.
    IP

Hi
    I'm a professional Graphic Designer.
    How can you compare Photoshop with Illustrator, one is a bitmap program the other is a vector program.
    If want to change or fix photos use photoshop, but don't design with it. if you enlarge your design it will pixelate thats what vector software is for.
    If you want to Design Graphics, logos, business cards, etc use a vector program.
    If you want to compare the two, you should ask Photoshop or Photopaint,
    Illustrator or CorelDRAW.
    IP

I've been with CorelDraw since version 3 and Photoshop for about three years only but I've never even opened 'Illustrator'. If, as mentioned above, Illustrator is a vector prog like CorelDraw then it can't be compared with Photoshop - it's neither 'worse' nor 'better', they are two different animals.
    IP

With the more recent 7.0, CS and CS2, what you can do in Photoshop has encorporated much that you had to do in an illustration program. Now if you prefer, you are able to use Photoshop.

As far as ease of use, Photoshop is much easier.

Illustrator is a case of how not to select what you don't want.

Just because something is complicated doesn't make it good. Look at Xara, what can't you do and it is simple.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

I notice a lot of misunderstanding about Photoshop's fake vectors and true vector programs. Maybe this example explains the difference:

http://www.khulsey.com/demo_1howto.html
    IP

I'm fairly new to these applications. As such, I'm more interested in differences I can deal with as a new user. One that seems obvious is that I can't insert multiple images into one file in Photoshop. However, I can do this in Illustrator. For instance, in Illustrator, I can place an image (e.g., a photo of a bird or flower) into a photo of a face. So, I can create a face with a flower in its mouth, and/or birds in its eyes. I think this can be done in Illustrator natively, but I have to use layers in Photoshop. Is this accurate?
    IP

You need to use layers in Photoshop it is true and if you have many items, grouping and editing objects in layers helps to be able to select them.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

i dont know abt illustrator but i like to use photoshop the most
    IP