Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: which do you prefere ?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Photoshop

11 73.33%
  • Illustrator

1 6.67%
  • Don't know

3 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Photoshop VS Illustrator

I have always been curious as to what people think of the two programs. I have many friends who hate one or the other and i want to know which you prefere.
    IP

Default Re: Photoshop VS Illustrator

I find that the two together is essential. Each has their own set of features which make them both 'stand alone' apps, of course. But PS effects, used in Illustrator and Illustrator effects imported into PS extends the capabilities of both. It's like asking; which do you prefer, a sports car or a 3 ton 4wd truck? Obviously they each have their place, and in a perfect world, you should have both.
    IP

It's like comparing apples with oranges.
    IP

I prefere Photoshop
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ronmatt
    I find that the two together is essential. Each has their own set of features which make them both 'stand alone' apps, of course. But PS effects, used in Illustrator and Illustrator effects imported into PS extends the capabilities of both. It's like asking; which do you prefer, a sports car or a 3 ton 4wd truck? Obviously they each have their place, and in a perfect world, you should have both.
    I Can understand that, and ideally you should have both but say you couldn't afford both. Which would you get ?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFlare
    It's like comparing apples with oranges.
    Comparisons need to be made. Thats how things get tested and "evolve".
    IP

The two programs are different, one being a pixel pusher and the other a vector application.

I have not upgraded Illustrator since version 10 and don't even have that currently installed on any of my computers.

I also haven't upgraded Photo Shop since CS, don't use it enough to warrant the upgrade to CS2.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

I also haven't upgraded from the cs creative suite. Can't find a reason why I should. And I also still use PS7 for most things, as I have, over the years added plugins, shapes and styles, many of which I made myself, that PSCS doesn't want to use. As to which one OF the two would I recommend. Then Photoshop, hands down. Just watch your text. Rastered text sucks but you can maintain vectors if you build and save the file correctly This really only applies if you design for print. Although scalable vector images are needed for screen as well at times
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Draker
    Comparisons need to be made. Thats how things get tested and "evolve".
    Sure, as long as you don't compare apples with oranges. It's like which is better: the pencil or the brush, oil paint or water paint?
    Photoshop is a bitmap editor, Illustrator is vector program.
    I prefer Photoshop as a bitmap editor over other bitmap editors, but if I have to do create serious vector designs I prefer Illustrator.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmatt
    As to which one OF the two would I recommend. Then Photoshop, hands down. Just watch your text.
    Ron, how can you recommend Photoshop over Illustrator when you don't know what the user's intentions are, to work professionally with either vectors or bitmap?

Let me make it clear guys that Photoshop is not a true vector application. Sure, you can do some little vector stuff, but once you want to do something more complicated that also need fully scalable then you have no other choice then to use a true vector application.

To go back to the original question. The original question was: which do you prefer?
    Again, this depends on what kind of graphics you're working on.
    Let's be honest, no Illustrator lover will prefer their beloved application over Photoshop (or any other image editor) to retouch photographs...
    Last edited by BlueFlare; 12 January 2006 at 04:38 PM.
    IP

i vote for photoshop

i find it easier and more flexible.
    maybe cuz i tried once to learn how to use Illustrator but it was too hard for me.
    IP

Blueflare, I only suggested PS because, these days it seems that the majority of people prefer to do things for the web as opposed to print, in which case 'vector' is almost meaningless. Learning Illustrator is also much more difficult, Not that PS is REALLY any easier, but any novice can, at least, see some progress in PS much quicker.I design for print, thus PS, ILL. In Design and Acrobat are essential and I really couldn't do without any of them. But, asked to make a choice, I choose the most common denominator. PS
    IP