Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: SaleenS7

Default SaleenS7

I really don't know much about cars, but a topic at the Xara forum had a picture of a nice looking one where the member was asking for tips on vectorizing it. One thing I found out when doing something like this is that having a high definition picture makes it easier. Did a search on http://www.netcarshow.com/
    and downloaded a big pic of the car. Did this piece by piece over a couple of days. No transparencies, just gradients and blends. Corel Draw.... the hard way... .
    I tried Ron's tip of working with layers, but the list grew so long I finally just grouped the entire thing into a single group on a single layer. Ctrl clicking still manages to isolate shapes. But if I had to change the color, I'd probably have to convert it to bitmap and use a bitmap editor for the job...
    Wireframe below the rendered version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SaleenS7.jpg 
Views:	1088 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	22798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SaleenS7wire.gif 
Views:	818 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	22799  

Default Re: SaleenS7

Looks great G-Man, cheers. 2

Question Re: SaleenS7

Hi Graphixman. You said you used Corel Draw for some things. Is the sketch of the car done with Corel Draw?

Yup. Everything. The top and the bottom pic is the same car, just switched to wireframe view for the bottom pic. It was more of an exercise in patience, really. When redrawing a pic with vectors, you're forced to simplify things and keep the shapes stacked in the proper order. And while doing this kinda gets mechanical in the process, staring at the picture for a while makes you really look at the fine details of the object which you'd normally miss if you were just to browse over it in a webpage or magazine.
    Swf version of the same car, zipped. So you can zoom in if you want. Just noticed some parts were not aligned tightly, but too late and too lazy to fix that now...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Grafixman; 22 December 2005 at 12:09 PM. Reason: attachment

Fabulous G-Man ... simply fabulous

Great car, Grafixman, and I know how difficult it is what you drew. Very well done.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode