Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Actually Publishing!

Ok,

I'm a fairly experianced (fairly being the operative word) php/mysql programmer, im also fairly good at various GFX programs (maily Photoshop and Xara) and some Techonologys such as XHTML, CSS and JS.

The thing is although ive done all this work on my localhost ive never actually gone about publishing a site (well not really anyway), now the time has come for me to actually publish a site and i would like to know how to get started and also the best web hosting packeges around (basic apche/mysql servers), i wont need much trafic as in a few months im going to buy a dedicated server with a friend and then i can just use that.

Finally ive recently switched to linux i was wondering if there are any "easy to use" (whatever that means) apache servers anyone knows about e.g. EasyPHP-1.8

Edit: also any tips on getting traffic to the site will be usefull, i know this is all a bit much but it would be really nice if someone could help me!

-- cheers - Rich
    Last edited by rich97; 25 December 2005 at 06:06 AM.

Default Re: Actually Publishing!

I like this company for Web site hosting:

http://www.site5.com/

And as far as getting traffic, my advice is to be wary of all-Flash or all-graphics sites. Search engines cannot read graphics & Flash, so such sites don't usually rank very high in search results. If you want traffic, be very careful to use text when possible, and only use graphics for graphical elements. By doing that, Google & others can "read" your site, and will show it in search results. And that will get you some traffic.

Beyond that, Google Adwords is very good for driving traffic. Costs money, though.

-Tony