Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xtreme installer crashes

I've seen a similar question in here so I must be in the right place. Installshield says it needs to download XML v4, but won't. Pressing Cancel freezes the screen. Btw, I know the question is on the FAQ, but the answer is unavailable. Thanks in advance. (OS WXP, sp2)

Default Re: Xtreme installer crashes

Hi the information is available at http://xara.com/support/xtreme/extras/default.asp

MSXML4 can be downloaded from:-

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...629c/msxml.msi

Once downloaded, double-click the msxml.msi file to run the installer and install MSXML4 on your computer.

Next re-run the xtreme installer

NeilH is offline Xara Group Ltd. Development Manager Member

Yes, that's the correct information that you should have been given when you looked at the FAQ. I just checked the question in the FAQ ("The installer said it couldn't download GDI+ or XML4") and the answer appears ok. What happened when you clicked on this question in the FAQ?

Neil

Thanks very much both of you. I've now got a bit further, but now I am unable to unlock the program. As soon as I click 'unlock' after entering my details, it stops responding and I have to use Task Manager to end the process. I've tried all the commonsense stuff (I think). Is there a way round this?
    Regarding the FAQ, when I clicked the question, I got 'the answer to this question is not available', or something very similar. I clicked another couple of nearby random questions while I was there and the same thing happened, so I assumed it was a temporary thing.
    Thanks in advance,
    Geoff.

I think I had to reinstall Xara after the XML4 install. Hope this helps, Willy

No, that didn't work Willy, but thanks anyway. I'm assuming all will be well when the CD eventually arrives.

Geoff.

lol Again (I found a similar issue in another thread).

Frirst you need this "GDI+.dll" I have Windows 64 so this might not work for you. However if you search Microsoft/Downloads (downloads and Code) you will get a page for the correct file. It's GDI+ ( dll )

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...splayLang=en

or this one (better)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...start_9ezp.asp

After windows library opens there is a selection tab below the search pane on the left. Retype GDI in there and select Downloads and Code in the lower Tab where it says Library. Once you do that you should have a list of GDi files, select the one for your systemand download. It's just a Dynamic Link Library so you don't have to open or install it, just place it in your Windows Folder and look it up again when it asks you too.

For WIN 64 open this using your 64 bit Internet explorer or you will get the wrong version.

Why this is not in the FAQ is beyond me and any means of reasonable logic, it's the first issue you will get and the first port of call, so to speak.

If the link above (both of them) does not work don't blame me blame Microsoft. Try copy paiste instead and place {http://www} in front of it.

.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6a63ab9c-df12-4d41-933c-be590feaa05a&DisplayLang=en

You will need to search
    GDI+ In the "search for" pane and under it (left side of page) is a small list tab, you need to use this to get to Code and Downloads. Unfortunatly Microsoft has taken the line of Copyright protection over Customer service so links often will not work anymore in Windows web service. I hate to say it but dear bill, Is 72 billion dollars not enough or do you need more, you know, you might need a cab to Queens one day and not have any loose change....
    Last edited by pcjunkie; 28 December 2005 at 06:08 AM.

To all of you who have persevered with me, I have an admission to make:my firewall had apparently automatically updated itself without my knowledge, and was blocking certain traffic. I had an identical problem with something else, which led me to start looking closer to home, and as soon as I turned it off all was well. So if you want to stand in a circle and point and laugh at me, you will be justified. Btw I followed your advice pcjunkie, and got the GDI file. Thanks.
    Anyway, you have proved yourselves to be an affable bunch, so after apologising for wasting your time, I'll look forward to the time when I am able to offer something back.
    Many thanks again.
    Geoff.
    Last edited by euronerd; 30 December 2005 at 09:34 PM.

Smile Re: Xtreme installer crashes

lol np

I once sent a new PC back to be repaired as I assumed the internet services were not working.......It was the router.....

Glad to help anyway...

Have a great new Year