Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default "3D Human" assistance required

I'm normally confined to the flat discipline of 2D art, and not really up on the world of 3D art and modelling, so would appreciate some guidance from those in the know for a new project I'm undertaking please.

Essentially, what I am after is an application that will allow me to model a person wearing a football (soccer) kit, and give me the flexibility to change the colour and design of that kit to match various teams' strips.

I'm sure there are many programs out there that will do that, and with varying levels of success, but I do have three rather restrictive quantifiers to place on the program.

Firstly, it needs to be easy(ish) to use (I am a 3D virgin after all). Secondly, I'd like something that gives a very "slick" look to the finished image and, finally, it needs to be cheap as in, well, free!! :rollyes:

Is there a downloadable trial version of a program that would suit the rather restrictive requirements anyone could recommend, or am I asking for the impossible?

I throw myself at your mercy, and offer eternal gratitude and the promise of showing you the results in return!!

Thanks in advance
    "If your head hurts, it's working. Right?"

Default Re: "3D Human" assistance required

Welcome to 3D graphics Simmotino,
    Essentially, what I am after is an application that will allow me to model a person wearing a football (soccer) kit,
    Is that, like short pants, a jersey and running shoes?

and give me the flexibility to change the colour and design of that kit to match various teams' strips
    You will have to aquire the skill of working with UV maps, graphics drawn with Xara can be applied to UV maps (a bitmap that fits the model).

Modeling and rigging the human form and various clothing items is not an entry level task, it will require study and effort. For someone who has no experience with 3D software, I would suggest you check out the Poser 6 demo. Poser 6 includes several high quality models, humans, animals, clothing, props etc... You will have to modify the UV maps as needed.
    Setting up a scene and rendering an image is another task you will have to learn how to do as well.

A free trial version is available at http://downloads.e-frontier.com/us/u...e.php?cat=1349

am I asking for the impossible?
    No, not at all. Although You have to spend some money to get full versions of the software. Give it a shot, your creative mind will enjoy the experience.
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 11 December 2005 at 02:13 PM.

Default Re: "3D Human" assistance required

Daz Studio?
    http://www.daz3d.com/program/studio/1_0index.php
    Haven't played around with it, so I wouldn't know it's limitations, but maybe Richard could fill you in.
    But yes, Poser would be the more complete package for 3D figures...
    Unless you get really really good and model the entire thing like they do at CGTalk...