Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default use XPE to resize a photo within Xtreme?

Hey folks.

I have a typically large JPG from my digital camera. I drag it into Xtreme and double click it. in the XPE, I resize the image and click the tick to go back to Xtreme.

The image is not resized!

What I am finding is that if I resize the image in Xtreme, the image is much less smooth than when resized in XPE, but I can't get the resized image from XPE into Xtreme without doing the process outside of Xtreme and importing the resized image into my document.

Please someone help! Can I do what I want inside Xtreme?

Thanks
    YourMum

Default Re: use XPE to resize a photo within Xtreme?

When you have made the changes to your bitmap in XPE a new copy of it should appear in Xtreme's bitmap gallery. If you drag that copy out of the gallery and into your document, it should be correctly sized.

I have uninstalled Xtreme (too unstable) so can't confirm that is your problem, but all versions of Xara get bitmap sizes wrong when you copy/paste them into your document (web graphics usually come in at 192dpi instead of 96) and deleting them and bringing them out of the gallery always gets them back at 1:1.

I don't like making things non-editable later when there are ways to keep something editable, but you could resize your photo and create a bitmap copy of the resized version - that should get you a smooth copy to work with. When exporting to Jpeg though, I find even images that look a bit rough in X1 are properly smoothed in the exported file and match (very closely if not identically) a bitmap copy's quality while inside X1. Try exporting what is looking rough, I think it should still be as smooth.
    Last edited by Daniel; 08 December 2005 at 10:09 AM.

Once I have made edits to an image, yes, a new one appears in the Bitmap Gallery, however, the image is still at its original size.

You are right about the final export as JPG though - nice and smooth.

So why is the image shown in the document rough??? Not WYSIWYG
    YourMum

Quote Originally Posted by YourMum
    Once I have made edits to an image, yes, a new one appears in the Bitmap Gallery, however, the image is still at its original size.
    Yep, that happens in my X1/XPE1 install as well. Right click on a bitmap in the bitmap gallery and select XPE though, and the bitmap opens at the 'resized' size.

I think the resize options in XPE are designed for its standalone operation as an individual application unlinked to X1/Xtreme. Opening a photo in Xtreme's version of XPE through Windows Explorer (ie not inside Xtreme), resizing it, then clicking the Save icon and choosing an option from the radio buttons at the bottom works properly for resizing

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Right click on a bitmap in the bitmap gallery and select XPE though, and the bitmap opens at the 'resized' size.
    When I do this, all that happens is the XPE opens with the image in it. Clicking the tick leaves me where I was - no image inserted into the document.
    YourMum

Yes, the same for me - the point I was making was that the size *is* recorded somewhere, even if not used in X1/Xtreme.

I think that rather than the problem being the resized image isn't inserted into the X drawing, it is that the Resize button should only be present when XPE is loaded as a standalone app because only then does it have any affect.

Why unresized bitmaps sometimes look poor in X1/Xtreme though - I don't know. They don't always seem to, but I don't know what tirggers them to sometimes and not others. I'm sure there is a pattern, perhaps based on filesize or available memory?

(We practically could continue this conversation by opening our windows and shouting - I'm just 5 miles from Watford)

I thought it might have been something to do with the "smooth" options either globally (in options) or for the bitmap itself, but it apears that this option only applies when a bitmap is scaled UP, not down!

You must have a louder voice than I do My sis used to live in Ealing, so been round those parts a bit...
    YourMum

I'm afraid to disappoint you all guys, but it seems to me that so-called 'Resize' that you've ment is nothing else than 'ZOOM'. It just zooms the picture so that you could see your edits better. Just to see but not to apply to it. If you want to resize your image perfectly than use PhotoZoom Professional application to perform S-Spline resizing algorithm upon your image. This IS the best known resizing algorithm today, I think. It works wonders... Uuuuuuhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Arlen_Albert
    I'm afraid to disappoint you all guys, but it seems to me that so-called 'Resize' that you've ment is nothing else than 'ZOOM'. It just zooms the picture so that you could see your edits better. Just to see but not to apply to it. If you want to resize your image perfectly than use PhotoZoom Professional application to perform S-Spline resizing algorithm upon your image. This IS the best known resizing algorithm today, I think. It works wonders... Uuuuuuhhhh
    You have to save the image and then check the Current Size radio button.

YourMum - Part of the problem with Xtreme is if the photo is not screen resolution it looks unsharp, but this is the display and not the image. Let's say the image you have imported is 300dpi. At screen resolution it will not look good. But if you zoom to around 300% the image will look much better.

If you are going to be viewing the image on a web page, then convert the image to bitmap (Create Bitmap Copy) at 96dpi. If you look at both images side by side, the 96dpi image will look a lot better. But if you print the two images on a high resolution printer, the 300dpi image will be much better.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	save_options.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	22564  
    Last edited by gwpriester; 08 December 2005 at 11:14 PM.