Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default xara 5 3d and psp help please...

ive searched for this answer and couldnt find any reference to it so please don`t shoot me down if i`ve missed it or im in the wrong place.

i used to be able to import bitmaps into xara 5 3d to extrude into buttons and stuff...it involved first opening the bitmap in paint shop pro and then editing it somehow and saving in a format that would import into xara...think it involved vectors but not sure now...anyhow ive tried importing as a wmf or emf but no good.

guess what..i`ve forgotten how and its driving me absolutely nuts.
    there was a nice tutorial about it but cant find that either now.

would some kind person please put me out of my misery ?...thanks in advance.

Default Re: xara 5 3d and psp help please...

ok im able to import vector objects into xara now by saving them as .wmf files

but i still cant convert the bitmaps into vectors....???????

anybody????

i used to be able to make a bitmap from paintshop pro open in xara 3d and then manipulate it.

there was a way to convert a bitmap to a vector object.

please?

Hi Ogden,

You can use the bitmap as a texture, but using PSP to export it as a wmf will not convert it into a vector drawing. You would get a quadrangle (square or rectangle) the size of the bitmap. That would be ok as long as you put the original bitmap in as a texture.

I've been using Xara3D since version 3 and haven't been able to get bitmaps in unless I redraw them in XaraX as true vectors or use them as textures.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili
    Hi Ogden,

You can use the bitmap as a texture, but using PSP to export it as a wmf will not convert it into a vector drawing. You would get a quadrangle (square or rectangle) the size of the bitmap. That would be ok as long as you put the original bitmap in as a texture.

I've been using Xara3D since version 3 and haven't been able to get bitmaps in unless I redraw them in XaraX as true vectors or use them as textures.
    i hear you but believe me there was a way..it involved cropping the bitmaps background by selecting with the magic wand tool so that you were left with your shape...and then all i remember is that when you converted it to vector information somehow it paint shop pro it looked plain and flat and you had to adjust some settings to get it to show...then it would import into xara.

it was a tutorial i found but im talking two years ago now...i made some nice gifs with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Og
    I'm sorry but I can't remember anything like this at all. I wouldn't believe it would work either, but if you do find it please let us know.
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill
    Og
    I'm sorry but I can't remember anything like this at all. I wouldn't believe it would work either, but if you do find it please let us know.
    Egg
    i`m still looking and playing with psp ..i`m not helped by the fact i now have a newer version..i used version 7 to do this..i may have to reload the older version , maybe it will jog my memory.

i remember the tutorial alluded to the fact that it was a bit of cheat getting the vector info to save in the bitmap by doing something.
    ...i even wrote it down somewhere...if and when i figure it out i will post it up.

Default bitmaps to vectors and vice versa

Hi, Ogden--

Can you post an example of what you've done/are trying to do? The bitmap image contains a design element you want to extrude in X3D? I'd suggest hand-tracing it in Xara, or use an auto-trace util, but you'd probably be happiestr hand tracing it to vector format. Save out in PSP to tif, bmp, jpeg (whatever), place the file on a Xara layer, lock it, then create a new layer--then copy & paste to X3D. If you don't own Xara, you can download a fully functional time-out copy. Unfortunately, X3D can't import a PostScript file (*.eps, *.ps, *.ai), or I'd suggest you download Inkscape, which is freeware.

Basically, if you want to work with vectors, you need a vector drawing program.

My Best,

Gare