Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Need to create transparent Scrabble tiles

I'm a newbie when it comes to creating my own objects in PI; I've just been using it for basic photo re-touching. I'm using version 8. So, my daughter is on her school's yearbook staff and was tasked with designing the front cover of the yearbook. One of the things they want to do is to super-impose transparent Scrabble tiles over a collage of student pictures. The tiles need to be transparent/translucent in order to see the faces underneath. Can this type of object be created in PI? Would I have to create individual objects for each letter that I need or could I type a phrase, such as the title of the yearbook, and then add effects to it to make it look like Scrabble tiles?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

IP

Default Re: Need to create transparent Scrabble tiles

You can make any object transparent. You have drawing modes, in the normal mode, just drag the slider and you will get varing levels of transparency. This will not work on the bottom layer, but on any other.

In regards to the tiling, PI will want to make an object and place them on individual layers. But you can group your layers and they will behave as one, or you can merge them. But merging will make you tiles ineditable, your text will be turned into an image and you can't get it back.

Grouping is better, usually.

I'd suggest finding out how they are printing it. If it is being printed in CMYK or Grayscale or in Spot Color. And if the cover has a bleed. (Extra area the printer needs to print past the crop line to insure you don't have little white lines on the edge of your cover.)

If they want you to do a color separation, you can't do one in PI, it is only RGB.
    Last edited by sallybode; 06 December 2005 at 01:32 AM.
    IP

Thanks for the info. Do you know of any instructions/pointers/tutorials on how to get started with creating the objects?

Thanks!

IP

Hi!
    The easiest way may be to download a "Scrabble tile font" and use that in PI to create your lettering.
    http://www.thepixiepit.co.uk/scrabble/download.html

Just highlight and set the transparency you desire.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...bblexample.jpg
    IP

Very cool! Thanks!

IP

Nice to see you are out there monitoring, Kiwi. So how are things at the PI Board on Stephanie's site: East of the Sun?
    IP

Unfortunately .. Quiet?
    Even GrafixMan seems to be suffering from creators cramp lol
    Pity the "Views" don't ever turn into "Posts"

The only sites I see that really "buzz" seem to be those that offer "Free Siggies/Tags
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...kisss-anim.gif
    IP

Creative block. It happens to everyone. This time of the year, I should have been bombarding the forums I visit with Christmas cards, snowglobes and decorations, but I have no idea what to do. . Christmas blues, maybe?
    IP

We were talking about being Nerds in the Xara Gallery, and some one mentioned that if we got off topic we could get wiped. That's enough to give you a creative block.

The world is a scary place these days. Find a little shelter from the storm among those we feel comfortable with and at ease.

But the snow globe idea sounds great, are we up for a challenge?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snowglobe.gif 
Views:	2179 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	22561  
    Last edited by sallybode; 08 December 2005 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Adding animation
    IP

That looks real great Sally!
    You're really putting the pressure on now lol

I have been asked to do an animation for our local council so am up to my ears but will try to combine it with a globe later. Dunno about snow though! It's coming into summer here so may need to be a santa wearing shorts
    IP