Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I created nearly all of my company's brochures in Corel Xara (ver. 1.5), without a manual. I tried the Xara X demo, didn't have time to learn the new GUI, and the date expired. Noticed that all my previous Corel Xara file types were modified to 'Xara X' file type. After uninstalling Xara X, and reinstalling Corel Xara, my old Xara files still indicated that they were Xara X file types...double-clicking on them just produced an error (file not associated with an application). I have a MAJOR business proposal to get out today and can't acces my own Xara files with Corel Xara. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I already tried associating the file type with the Xara extension via the Folder View option. Xara X still shows up, but not Xara. Help.
    IP

I created nearly all of my company's brochures in Corel Xara (ver. 1.5), without a manual. I tried the Xara X demo, didn't have time to learn the new GUI, and the date expired. Noticed that all my previous Corel Xara file types were modified to 'Xara X' file type. After uninstalling Xara X, and reinstalling Corel Xara, my old Xara files still indicated that they were Xara X file types...double-clicking on them just produced an error (file not associated with an application). I have a MAJOR business proposal to get out today and can't acces my own Xara files with Corel Xara. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I already tried associating the file type with the Xara extension via the Folder View option. Xara X still shows up, but not Xara. Help.
    IP

Winters where it\'s cold, summers where it\'s hot

you opened your old files from version 1.5 in XaraX and resaved them. Previous versions won't open later version files. Xara has an updated beta on their site that has been available for several weeks. It doesn't expire until Nov 20.

D/L that and open away!

Dennis

<a href=http://www.inconnect.com/~dennisco/>Carillus Design</a>
    <a href=http://www.djart.com>DJArt & Design</a>
    IP

Thanks for your response Dennis. Actually, I didn't open any of my older Xara files with the Beta version. After installing Xara X, the 'system' upgraded all of my older CorelXara files on my C drive to the newer Xara X file type. Yes, I'm aware that the Beta is still available, however I didn't like it and don't have time to mess around trying to learn it. But thanks anyway.
    IP

I noticed that even after opening my old CorelXara files (upgraded as Xara X file types) with CorelXara, and resaving them as a CorelXara file (new file name) - they still got saved as Xara X file types - even after the Xara X uninstall. Is that weird or what! Please help.
    IP

Thanks for your thoughts. If anyone else out there tries to back-rev from Xara X to plain old Xara or Corel Xara - and goofs up their Xara file types and extensions, let me know. It's tricky but it can be fixed. Ugh.
    IP

Winters where it\'s cold, summers where it\'s hot

Glad you got the problem fixed and sorry to hear that you don't like XaraX. Very strange how it commandeered your older X-files. It left all of mine alone.

Dennis

<a href=http://www.inconnect.com/~dennisco/>Carillus Design</a>

[This message was edited by Dennis Cox on November 09, 2000 at 11:42 PM.]
    <a href=http://www.djart.com>DJArt & Design</a>
    IP

Windows has a description for each file, all that sounds to have happened is that the description for a .xar file has changed from "Corel Xara Document" to "Xara X Document".

The program associated with the file (ie, the one which loads when you double click on the file from Explorer) is also Xara X, rather than Corel Xara. That's easy to fix:

* Single left-click on a Xara .xar file in Explorer
    * Hold down the SHIFT button and right-click the .xar file.
    * Click Open With....
    * Find CORELXRA from the list (or find it by clicking Browse if it's not there)
    * Click on "Always use this program to open this type of file"
    * Click OK ... that's it!

If you don't want to do that (will only take you 10 seconds), just open Corel Xara as the program, then click File, Open, and then find your file from there.

Having created a Xara X file with bevels, shadows etc, they DO open into CorelXara 2, without the new effects.

Hope that helps
    Daniel
    IP

Using the 'Open With...' technique may not be entirely successful because it assumes that CorelXARA will accept a file name passed on the command line, i.e. it uses the syntax "...\CorelXRA.exe %1". Xara ignores such parameters and uses DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) instead. The DDE settings aren't automatically included with the above method.

The easiest solution is to go from a Windows Explorer window to View > Options > File Types and Remove all mention of XaraX and CorelXARA. Xara will then automatically enter the correct settings the next time it starts. Alternatively, you can edit the appropriate file type and enter [open(%1)] in the DDE message box for 'open', having checked the Use DDE box.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean
    IP