Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi there,

If anyone can help me out please help!, its urgent!
    I have two flash movies, both published as different html pages! - one the first one, the useer can choose between three things, by clicking on one of them, it sets a variable to true, the other two set the variable to false.
    Later on in the movie, when the second movie is called, i want that movie to do certain things depending on what the variables say (ie.e true or flase).
    I know you can target movies by having 0level.movie.bla.bla
    But will this work even though both movies are on different html files??

Please help
    Thanks
    Alex [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    IP

Hi there,

If anyone can help me out please help!, its urgent!
    I have two flash movies, both published as different html pages! - one the first one, the useer can choose between three things, by clicking on one of them, it sets a variable to true, the other two set the variable to false.
    Later on in the movie, when the second movie is called, i want that movie to do certain things depending on what the variables say (ie.e true or flase).
    I know you can target movies by having 0level.movie.bla.bla
    But will this work even though both movies are on different html files??

Please help
    Thanks
    Alex [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    IP

if they're in different html files in the same frameset, or where they are in different named windows (such as window1 spawns window2 using javascript or by creating a targetted link or something) then you can target the movie in that frame/window using javascript and set the variable that way. see Jessica Spiegler's tutorial on the flash clock at www.were-here.com for an example of setting a variable in a movie using javascript. if it's not in a separate frame, etc., then you may need to use some sort of intermediary. you can either create a simple server-side script to write the variables to a file, and then get the second movie to read that file, or you can put your pages within a larger frameset, which also contains a tiny, or invisible, frame where you can set/retrieve javascript variables.

now, i seem to be under the impression that there is an easier way to do this - unfortunately, i'm currently quite burnt out and can't fathom exactly how. however, these are methods tha will work. if these answers are confusing, let me know and i'll try and post a more complete answer when i get a minute. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    <font face="arial" size="2">
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    Senior Web Designer
    http://www.blab.com
    </font>
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO