Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question PlugIn folder Placement -Ideas Please

I was reading, with Interest, about where People put their PlugIns. I would like to explore this a bit further (I am getting ready to Install somemore PlugIns, Filter and whatever, and would like to simplify where I put thems so they are accessable to all the programs that can use them.

And, I wanted to hear from the all the wonderful Folks here about what they have found to work!

What's working for ya? Right off the C-drive (C or In the Program folder or maybe even the Desktop (that would be easy to Navigate too)? What did you call it? (I am debating "Add-Ons" (or something) with SubFolders for: PlugIns, Filters, ?Tubes? Whatever)... Any thoughts to save me from Newbie Self?

(I also, want to Thank Everyone for all the Help and Patience you have show me learning all the new things about Xara Products - Thank You! Appreciate! Hope Everyone has a Good Holiday)

Tom
    Tom - Hwy101

Default Re: PlugIn folder Placement -Ideas Please

I made a major folder for the more simple plugins, and subfolders for each set.
    I have installed plugins in my PSCS folder. I wasn't able to move those into another location. Those may need to be installed instead of unzip or move.
    I am not sure if the plugins would be removed when removing and reinstalling the application. I believe that is what happend to all my fill galleries. I needed a change anyway. So, I will try the plugin folders separate from the program folder. I was able to copy the SBP files into may new set of folders. For Knockout, you could copy the 8BF flie to a location, and leave the program files where they are. Rich

I keep all my files that I don't want to lose on an external hard drive, that way should I get a problem with my operating system I don't lose anything I cannot restore. I have my filters stored in there for all my programs in a filters folder. I have no problem with doing it this way.

I have installed a second hard drive (from before Xp) and keep all my work on that drive call it my Data drive. I keep majority of stuff on that drive and if I have a system failure I don't loose my work.
    Jim

Scotty,

But if you have a failure on your "data drive" you WILL loose your data?

I purchased a 40 gbyte external hard drive and I backup all my important files from my PC hard drive to the external hard drive.

Zee

I just have a 250GB USB that I xcopy my entire c drive to every so often. Get 99.9% of the files. if I want a full copy, I boot from a floppy into old Dos and just copy everything. MAkes rebuilding a 'puter pretty easy. REinstall software, copy the .ini/personalization. Loose nutin'...

The chance of failing HD is more remote than Windows failure! And besides that I usually (every 2 months) copy files to Data DVD for safety sake.
    Jim

Thumbs up Re: PlugIn folder Placement -Ideas Please

(Thanks All for the Input!) I am looking at a Terabyte Network Drive that they have on sale occassionally, backing up to DVD as Needed... Tom
    Tom - Hwy101