Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Plug-in compatibility database

Hi all,

As an old-school Xara user (i was a beta tester for Artworks!) I'm excited by the possibility of the new plugin system ... but ... compatibility is inconsistent.

So i wondered ... given that not all plugins have free trials is there a web site resource where Xara Xtreme / plug-in compatibility can be found. I guessing not. So in that case should we start one? I think it would be helpful to know what is out there, where ... how compatibile it is and any particular usability issues (for example effects which get cropped outside the selection area).

What do people think?

Tone001

Question Re: Plug-in compatibility database

Quote Originally Posted by tone001
    Hi all,

As an old-school Xara user (i was a beta tester for Artworks!) I'm excited by the possibility of the new plugin system ... but ... compatibility is inconsistent.

So i wondered ... given that not all plugins have free trials is there a web site resource where Xara Xtreme / plug-in compatibility can be found. I guessing not. So in that case should we start one? I think it would be helpful to know what is out there, where ... how compatibile it is and any particular usability issues (for example effects which get cropped outside the selection area).

What do people think?
    Tone001
    Well, I could do a Compatibility Table in Spread Sheet (See Attached)... I could Export in a common agreed upon format... when it changes... people could post so we could see what Plugins (vers) work with what... when we find all programs it works with I would put in the Spread Sheet... Up to You all -Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CompatableList.png 
Views:	800 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	22430  
    Tom - Hwy101

Exclamation Re: Plug-in compatibility database

btw - The Plugin shown with Capatibility (Ys) is just made-up to show Basic thought.
    Tom - Hwy101

Default Re: Plug-in compatibility database

The ideal solution would be some extra database tables - With Dreamweaver it would take very few minutes to add a List page, Add, Edit and Delete, and using the user table from TG. This is down to Xara to permit.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Thumbs up Re: Plug-in compatibility database

Quote Originally Posted by stlewis
    The ideal solution would be some extra database tables - With Dreamweaver it would take very few minutes to add a List page, Add, Edit and Delete, and using the user table from TG. This is down to Xara to permit.
    Happen to have Dreamweaver too -Should Xara want a 'List' Page...
    (Good Idea stlewis)
    Tom - Hwy101

I could build a MySQL/PHP web based community tool to have a full rate/review examples system ... but kinda wanted to know how much people would use it ... and whether it was duplicating anyone else's work or in fact something XARA was considering.

Its only that some plug-ins are expensive and if they have no trial versions you have no idea whether they will work in Xara, or what quirks they have until you buy them.

If we could get a comprehensive list from people who may already own them for Photoshop ... that would be useful.

T

I think such a database would be a great idea. It would help people decide which plugins they might want to obtain, especially if there is a cost involved.

I think such a database should include slots for:
    a) whether the plugin works as a live effect on vector objects in Xtreme;
    b) whether a vector object to which the plugin is applied is "locked" or remains editable;
    c) whether the plugin is commercial or freeware;
    d) where/how the plugin can be obtained.

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by GroWeb
    I think such a database should include slots for:
    a) whether the plugin works as a live effect on vector objects in Xtreme;
    b) whether a vector object to which the plugin is applied is "locked" or remains editable;
    c) whether the plugin is commercial or freeware;
    d) where/how the plugin can be obtained.
    Good suggestions - I'm in for this idea too.

Such a database could really fly (commercially, even) if it included a cross-compatibility comparison between the various apps that support plugins in general. What I'm thinking of would be a stand-alone web site. Of course, such an endeavor would require the ubiquitous forum with which to compare notes and challange claims, etc.

The Cliff-Walking Fool

Waiting for my copy of Xtreme to be delivered (but long time original Xara user) and such a database seems an excellent idea to me.

gatow