Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I am able to successfully import custom .ai's into the Shape Library, but I can't "see" the actual files in Windows Explorer. I want to move them to a new installation of PI 8.0 on another computer without re-importing but don't know how.

Thanks for the help - Dave
    IP

I am able to successfully import custom .ai's into the Shape Library, but I can't "see" the actual files in Windows Explorer. I want to move them to a new installation of PI 8.0 on another computer without re-importing but don't know how.

Thanks for the help - Dave
    IP

Look under the Ulead.dat folder with a UFO extension. Rich
    IP

This is where things get weird...they are not there, only the original ufo shapes which ship with the product. This is verified by both the file count and creation date. In fact, there isn't a file date newer than 2002 in the entire Ulead dat folder. My imported shapes are available to me in the program, however.

The method I use to import is to select Custom Shaped from the Path Tool and then select Import. (The files I import are actually eps files.)

Dave
    IP

Did you try using PI to explore the shape library? I imported some ai files and they are there. The preview box doesn't display them, but try double clicking the file. Or maybe you added a new category and they were placed in a different folder? But they should still be somewhere inside PhotoImpact8/User dat/...
    IP

I am getting the feeling that the files are imbedded in the shape library file.

I created an AI file and added it to the custom shapes. I deleted the working file. When looking at the custom shapes, the file is there. A search of my system showed no occurence of the origional file. There is another set of folders under My Documents, and I looked there. These folders appear to be hidden, and you may not find them.

For now, I'll assume the file was added to the library file, and not seen as an AI file in the program folder. Rich
    IP

This is the location of the other Ulead folders. I can't see these normally in XP. I have Expression installed, and when I use the icon to access the resources, it shows these folders. Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uleadfolders.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	13976  
    IP

OK - I found them. They're added to a file called "shapes.uol" located in the PhotoImpact section of the Documents and Settings folder, as illustrated in the previous post.

Never thought to looking in there!

Thanks for all the help.

Dave
    IP