Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: "Home for Christmas" - another Christmas card

Nice, Sally Sounds good to me.

I have a MIDI keyboard, which only works when connected to the PC. Never really use it though. Would be nice to be able to play that song, my sister has a piano, which no one uses. Would be cool to play something on it.

-Bob.

The newer PC's are coming with better hook-ups for the front panel, like USB's and Firewire and audio ports: ie RCA jacks and a mic input. They have forgotten the MIDI, however now you can use an adapter sold at Guitar Center and it makes it easy, it only takes USB 1.0, because MIDI hasn't changed for ages and it is all 1's and 0's anyway, used to run over the game port on a sound card. Think it is called MIDI Man or something. Great gadget for a laptop.

But you can get some really groovy sound cards now and the synth on them can have some great emulations of all the Roland, GS and Yamaha stuff. If I had my preference, I'd get a Turtle Beach. Had a newer version of Cakewalk and it had a quirky installation so I kept the disk in the box. My son is Mr. Tidy and decided we had too many software boxes.

I haven't played with Cakewalk in a while but dug out my old 3 1/2" floppy with an old version of it, still works, it was Windows 3.1, can you imagine!

But wanted to play that song. I play by ear, mostly, my dad did and I guess I have inherited the gift.

Do you do your drawings straight on the computer or do you scan in a sketch? You drawings have such a natural flow.

Quote Originally Posted by sallybode
    Do you do your drawings straight on the computer or do you scan in a sketch? You drawings have such a natural flow.
    Thanks. They are done straight on the computer. I use to do a sketch on paper and scan it, but now I do the sketch in Xara. Saves paper

-Bob.

Turtle Beach has remarkable cards for very reasonable prices... Best bang for da buck...