Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Constant menu bar

I would strongly suggest getting a real host. The "FREE" hosts are more trouble than they are worth.

1. If You get a domain, they can cause many headaches to move it. My son used one of these and they ended up owning the domain, and he was never able to get them to release the name...

2. They "wrap" your site in server side includes which either take take prime prime screen real estate for advertisements, or load up your site with popup advertisements. Most of the time both.

It cheapens your site to the extreme. Not something one would want for a site built from flash...

Why dont you like flahs sites? They are fancy and eyecatching.

Availor,

Flash is cool... Free hosting is not. You get what you pay for with these hosts. I do not know of any free hosts that are worth the effort besides a personal site and that is pushing it. Get yourself a real host that provides something other than dialup access.

[QUOTE=Availor]I'd like the menu to stay at the same place disregarding the link I'm opening. Meaning I don't want the menu to be reloaded each time a user clicks a different link, since the menu consists of graphics and it will slower the site refreshment.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I use Serif's "Page Plus" for basic site construction.
    PP (or their "Web Plus") uses 'master' pages.

Simply put, you can create a page as a 'Master' page which will always show behind any other page.

Here is an example ... does exactly that for which you ask.

http://www.anti.eu.com/info.html

An extra advantage is, if you need to change the menu (or anything else which you want to be shown consistently on all pages) you only have to edit that single 'master' page.

I believe in making life as easy as possible ...

~®~

Quote Originally Posted by Rayofsunshine
    Here is an example ... does exactly that for which you ask.
    This "master page" is merely a templating device used by Page Plus to make it easier for you to "build" a website. It has absolutely no effect when actually serving the pages which was the OP's concern.
    Lonnie

You're going to want to do an Include of some sort. Whether a JS file, which has problems if the vistor has JS disabled, or a Middle Tier language, PHP, ColdFusion, ASP etc. The Master Page concept is correct except it has nothing to with the application creating it, but rather a stand alone page holding notheing but your navigation. I build my navigation elements in one page, by themselves and use a Coldfusion include to put them where I want in my site templates. The advantage is it's pushed by the server side and I only have one file I need to change to affect navigation across all files in my site. And yes, that navigation page can contant a Flash menu.

That's my 2 cents.

Hope it helps,

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Forgot to include a link that might help. It talks about what you're wanting to do.

http://www.mompswebdesign.com/articles/pageinclude.html

Enjoy!

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by LonK
    This "master page" is merely a templating device used by Page Plus to make it easier for you to "build" a website. It has absolutely no effect when actually serving the pages which was the OP's concern.
    Ah ... right. Agreed.