Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: "Christmas is coming" - a Christmas card

Very beautiful!
    If I had your talent, I'd be a human card factory and constantly sending e-cards to friends

I can only add my admiration Bob . Great art again and thanks for the close-ups too.

Thanks for the comments!

Thanks, Ken.

(1) While I would say that is true, I don't that applies when working with vector graphics. Since with vectors, you're able to zoom in and adjust an eyelash if needed and if the image is enlarged, the line work will scale. It's not like enlarging a bitmap image where it will lose some of it's quality. Because you can work in great detail, you also have to keep in mind what will even show up in your drawing when printed. For example, I have another card where the dogs name is on his tag and I had to make sure that when printed at the required size, that name was still clear to read.

(2) I'd say it depends on how complex the drawing is. Sometimes I would do the line work on one layer and the fill shapes in a separate layer below. Background objects in other layers. Foreground objects in their own layer. The final graphic may be composed of several layers, but at times when finished, I also select and copy all layers and paste them in a new document and use it then to create the card layout. The drawing is now all in one layer and treated as a single object. Still keeping my original file with all the layers.

Whatever makes it easier when working on your drawing is the way to do it. These cards, the line work and colouring was done on the same layer. But when you create a shape, you need to bump it back so it is behind the line work. If you have a lot to do, it's easier to have the line work in it's own layer and work underneath.

-Bob.
    Last edited by Bob Hahn; 05 November 2005 at 02:34 PM.

Thank you, Bob, for the added details.

Ken