Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can someone explain where these Help - Directions for importing color palettes need correction(see below)?
    I'm trying to load a few CorelDraw color palettes(Version 8,9,12 of COrelDraw)into the Color Gallery and I keep getting an error message that says there is no filter for these files. I've done a search on color palettes and looked into Gary's WebXealot archives.

Thanks, Wayne D

Importing colors and palettes

You can import the following color table and palette files.

CorelDRAW Palette .CPL and .PAL
    Adobe Color Tables .ACT
    Adobe Color Swatches .ACO
    PaintShop Pro Palettes .PAL
    Microsoft Palettes .PAL

You can import the colors into a document, or place them in the Color Gallery so they are always available.

To import a palette file

Into an existing document - drag the file icon from Explorer or File Manager and drop it onto the document window away from the Color Line.
    Into a new, blank document - drag the file icon from Explorer or File Manager and drop it on the Color Line.

To add a palette to the Color Gallery

1. Open the folder into which you installed the program.
    2. Open the Palettes folder.
    3. Copy a palette file into this folder. The file must be in one of the formats described above.

Tips

Imported colors become named colors when you import them and are displayed in the Color Gallery and on the Color Line.
    For palette files that contain large numbers of colors, it may be easier to import the palette into a blank document and use the Color Gallery to move the required named colors from the blank document into your selected document. Using the Color Gallery to apply a named color from the blank document automatically copies that named color into the selected document.

To create a palette file from Adobe Photoshop, select Indexed Color from the Mode menu and choose Color Table from the Mode menu.
    To create a palette file from PaintShop Pro V3, choose Save Palette from the Colors menu.
    You can only import colors from palette files when they are defined in color models supported by the program. e.g. PhotoColtone colors in ACT files will not import.

©1995-2001 Xara Ltd.

Can someone explain where these Help - Directions for importing color palettes need correction(see below)?
    I'm trying to load a few CorelDraw color palettes(Version 8,9,12 of COrelDraw)into the Color Gallery and I keep getting an error message that says there is no filter for these files. I've done a search on color palettes and looked into Gary's WebXealot archives.

Thanks, Wayne D

Importing colors and palettes

You can import the following color table and palette files.

CorelDRAW Palette .CPL and .PAL
    Adobe Color Tables .ACT
    Adobe Color Swatches .ACO
    PaintShop Pro Palettes .PAL
    Microsoft Palettes .PAL

You can import the colors into a document, or place them in the Color Gallery so they are always available.

To import a palette file

Into an existing document - drag the file icon from Explorer or File Manager and drop it onto the document window away from the Color Line.
    Into a new, blank document - drag the file icon from Explorer or File Manager and drop it on the Color Line.

To add a palette to the Color Gallery

1. Open the folder into which you installed the program.
    2. Open the Palettes folder.
    3. Copy a palette file into this folder. The file must be in one of the formats described above.

Tips

Imported colors become named colors when you import them and are displayed in the Color Gallery and on the Color Line.
    For palette files that contain large numbers of colors, it may be easier to import the palette into a blank document and use the Color Gallery to move the required named colors from the blank document into your selected document. Using the Color Gallery to apply a named color from the blank document automatically copies that named color into the selected document.

To create a palette file from Adobe Photoshop, select Indexed Color from the Mode menu and choose Color Table from the Mode menu.
    To create a palette file from PaintShop Pro V3, choose Save Palette from the Colors menu.
    You can only import colors from palette files when they are defined in color models supported by the program. e.g. PhotoColtone colors in ACT files will not import.

©1995-2001 Xara Ltd.

How are you trying to open these palettes Wayne?

Gary

Hi Wayne,

I am also having problems with Corel Draw 9 and winXP pallete files. Either they do not open, crash xara or appear corrupted. The adobe files seem to import fine.

Attached is the only error message I received during my testing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1upload.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	14683  

Only the V7 CPL files will work. Rich

As a note, I have gotten the Swatch files to open, however, not directly. I remember opening them and resaving them in PS. Something to try. Rich

You might try these. Circa 1997 Rich
    Attached Files Attached Files

Does this give better or other colours? Or is there another reason to do this?
    Coby

Hi Coby,

the main reason to import a palette from another program is to be able to use those colors in your drawings, mainly for output to the first program. I do not think it is used that awfully much, or else this problem of importing palettes would have surfaced much sooner.

Thanks John
    Coby