Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

color palette window

I'm not a newbie, REALLY, but do I feel stupid. I had lots of problems with Corel the other day and now after the 3rd reinstall I cannot get the color palette to display when I first open Corel 9.397 or when I save a file and start a new file/open an older file. Palette always goes away.

Thanks so much for your patience.
    inphoenix
    IP

Default Re: color palette window

You can save your desktop setting you know under options and you don't have to reinstall when things go amuck, just hold down F8 when booting into DRAW.

Your palette is not one of them, however, if it is turned off when you exit, it will be turned off when you boot again. Dockers and palettes remember your last useage.

Under Window, 5th selection down should be Palettes, click on CorelDRAW palette (which is the default CMYK palette). You can also use your color docker which is my preference for working in spot color. These selections under Dockers remain in memory so if you have several dockers loaded, they should be loaded then next time you enter DRAW.

Under Tools/Options/Workspace, you can create a custom setting that is your own and save it, in 12 which I use most of the time, I can see where that is saved. Before exiting options you need to click on Document and tell DRAW to use these settings on new documents and these settings will be remembered. If you do not tell it to remember, you will have to reset any preferences you have again. Best to tell it to remember, tell it to remember everything, then click on okay and you should be good.
    IP

I have all the settings as you suggested and still when I close CorelDraw 9 and open it again the color palette is NOT there. I don't understand the 'desktop' settings though. I have enabled save settings in tools/options/documents.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Inphoenix

btw: I tried quick reply and do not see an icon to click on to enable quick reply.
    Last edited by inphoenix; 28 October 2005 at 06:13 PM.
    IP

You can access the palette if you look above where Dockers are launched from, right?
    IP

I'm so sorry, I don't understand what you're telling me.... 'access palette...' I have to click on window/color palettes/CorelDraw palette to get the window to show up to the right of the docker window (also on the right). Now I really feel like a dummy.

Inphoenix
    IP

Too bad to hear your program is misbehaving. I'm on CD11 and the palletes and dockers are pretty well behaved. I did a quick googling and found this site:
    http://www.visionary-voyager.com.au/...eview/9end.htm
    It seems that there were 2 patches for version 9, and you should end up with 9.493. But I can't seem to get any links for those patches.... Not sure if it would help, even. But it's something to look for... Either that or you're missing a step when saving your current workspace. Are other dockers and setting being saved?
    IP

Thank you Grafixman for joining in on my problem.
    I did some 'googleing' of the sp files and found them on:
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/graphic...ldraw9sp2.html
    but strangely enough my version shows as 9.397 and that is what the sp1 and sp2 claim to update CorelDraw 9 up to. Hmmm... have I installed these already??? But you mention a higher rev. so I'm going to do a System Save (XP Pro) and try both of the SPs.

Other dockers being saved???
    I tried some other dockers ie: color (not color palette) and it will stay but when I choose window/color palettes/corel draw pallette the color pallette appears on the right as expected. Then I choose tools/options/document/save document options...etc the pallette disappears after the chosen options seems to execute. So the pallette never stays.

Inphoenix
    IP

I found the sp1 and sp2 files and installed them. The sp1 file seemed to work properly and was requested to restart computer. I did. Then I ran the sp2 download and it opened with a Corel update looking window but nothing happened. It just closed.

Still don't have a color pallet on open.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
    IP

Your problem is not one I encountered whilst using Draw 9. Are you opening the palette browser and checking the appropriate box to retain your palette, or just clicking the menu item for the palette.

Strange, but the following is a reply I recieved a long time ago when first installing the v9 SP's. This worked on my Win 2K system.

If installing the SPs on a Win2K or XP system it will likely be necessary to set the system date to GMT plus 8 (Perth), and may be necessary to set the date to 1999 during the installation process. It's not a bad idea to do the installation from a fresh boot, and it is essential that ALL other programs and TSRs, especially antivirus programs, be shut down during the installation of the SPs.

Unfortunately, even reinstalling does not always solve CD issues due to the way Draw stays on the system, particularly the registry. I find a complete reformat is often the only answer.

Sark
    IP

Sark,

I've tried both the pallete browser and the pallet window. Neither will stay after doc/pgm close re-open. I'm so confused. Never had this problem before.

I will try your suggestion(s) on re-install.

Grafixman asked if any other preferences were being saved... well my default font is NOT being saved even thought I've tried to change this for years. The default always comes up as Avant Garde 24 pt, no format, no outline. I've changed this in so many places that I'm at a loss there too.

My tool bars customnization seems to 'stick' though. Thank goodness for that as I have customized these a LOT!
    IP