Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xtreme Help URLs open in IE

When I open the help for XaraX1 & Xtreme, if I click on a link in there, it opens a window in Internet Explorer.

My default browser is not Internet Explorer.

My default browser is actually open at the time and eagerly awaiting URLs from all and sundry applications and still Xara help opens an instance of Internet Explorer!

Why?

Default Re: Xtreme Help URLs open in IE

They are Microsoft CHM files, they may decide to open IE.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyF
    They are Microsoft CHM files, they may decide to open IE.
    May? MAY?!!

No, they will open in IE.[1]

So why use CHM files for the help system?

Footnote.
    ---------
    1. Unless you first go into Windows\System32\Dllcache\ and rename iexplore.exe and then go to Program Files\InternetExplorer\ and rename the iexplore.exe there as well. Oh, and you have to unprotect system folders and files before Windows will let you do this.

This is an amusing turn of events. A few years ago everyone was complaining because Xara help wasn't using the .chm format. Now someone is complaining because they are. Xara can't win for trying it appears, they are damned if they don't and damned if they do.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

brianlj, you asked why. I said it's probably because they are Microsoft CHM files and they may decide to open in IE (rather than your preferred browser settings). Whereas from your second post you seem to know the answer anyway, so I don't know what you're asking of TalkGraphics users?

Soquili, this is the first complaint I've seen about CHM files doing this, and it's not a high priority problem. CHM files are for the most part good for their purpose, so nothing will change in this regard.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Well I don't have that issue at all!! I am using Xtreme and Firefox is my default browser. The help links, one and all, open just fine in Ff!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Question Re: Xtreme Help URLs open in IE

Quote Originally Posted by RAMWolff44
    Well I don't have that issue at all!! I am using Xtreme and Firefox is my default browser. The help links, one and all, open just fine in Ff!!
    Very interesting!

If I make Firefox 1.5 my default browser, have it open and waiting and click on, for example, this link in Xtreme's help:

Contents:Getting Help - Help! 'click here'

It opens a new window in Internet Explorer. Firefox just sits there with a blank window.

What versions of Windows & Firefox do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyF
    Whereas from your second post you seem to know the answer anyway, so I don't know what you're asking of TalkGraphics users?
    Because Xara Ltd reads this forum?

Plus, RAMWolff seems to have his system set up in a different way and maybe I can find out how.

Before everyone kills each other, perhaps I might be able to help find the differences?

I have Firefox 1.07 set as my default browser on Windows XP Pro SP2, and can reproduce both reports.

There seems to be two kinds of links: those with the arrow after them will open in Firefox, those without open in IE.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troll-link-shot.png 
Views:	292 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	21390  

Firefox is my default browser too. Is it such a bad thing that it opens up IE? I always have links, etc. opening up IE so I usually have both Firefox and IE windows open at the same time. They seem to coexist just fine...