Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AP Portfolio

Hybrid View

Here for my once in a blue moon post Thought I'd show what I've been up to. These pictures are about half of a series I made for my AP Art Portfolio ('advanced placement' to test out of college classes) My focus was interior architecture designs and playing with light there in. The first was the concept sketch, and everything else is what spawned from it. Oh, and I'm not sure if I posted this already or not, but I was accepted into the School for the Art Institute of Chicago and I'll be going there next year! So excited. Planning on spending 2 years there at least, and maybe my junior year attempting to get into the Art Center in California. But, let me know what you think. I designed these in Xara and painted in photoshop 7

Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Congratulations Steve,
    Beautiful work!
    ron
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

The window graphic and the stairs are absolutely jaw dropping and you should be congratulated for the way you achieve the lighting effects.
    You state that you use Xara for the construction of the drawing and then import it into PS, could you give an idea how much construction work you do in Xara? please.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Now that is funny! I am just picturing the first manditory computer art class. 9 weeks worth of mac paint. Oh the joys of college.

I guess that is why I clep'ed my degree...

"We DO have to buy laptops in accordance with their new system and junk and it just happens to be a mac. So there's $2,000 down the drain. I'll use it for notes and classes and junk, but my digital arts will never happen upon that screen" - Steve

Excellent viewpoint there. I will second that.
    John/DOT

Great work Steve ... love the hanging gardens

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Steve - It has been a pleasure watching you develop your skills over the years. I hope you find your formal education exciting.

With regards to 3d please check out SketchUp! as I really think you'd find it works well with the way you've been doing things in xara/ps. The developers have student pricing and the product is fantastic value.

Regards, Ross

Hi Steve,
    great as always, well worth the wait!!!
    Great to hear about Chicago, your on your way!
    Don't forget us here at talkgrphics. Would love to hear how it goes there and what you think.
    tim

Hi Steve,

Excellent as always!

Great news about Chicago.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Excellent work (understatement of the day )
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

thank you so much for the responses! Most of the brunt work is done in xara. There I set up all the perspective, thank God for the snap to objects tool! But Each was averaging around 15"x18" 300dpi. I usually used around 40" of 'gray space' so I could fit the vanishing points on there. I usually did it in color or gray hues. But when I exported it I gave it all a white fill with 1pt thick black outlines I believe. Brought it into PS and gave it a layer property so the white would be transparant and colored in the lines in different layers using the magic wand tool. But the coloring's a little easier for me, more natural. I taught myself a lot about perspective thought along the way and it helped me a lot.

3D I lack the software and computer power! But I will definitely be getting into it sometime in my future!
    thanks again
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-