Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AP Portfolio

Hi Steve,

Excellent as always!

Great news about Chicago.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Great work Steve ... love the hanging gardens

The window graphic and the stairs are absolutely jaw dropping and you should be congratulated for the way you achieve the lighting effects.
    You state that you use Xara for the construction of the drawing and then import it into PS, could you give an idea how much construction work you do in Xara? please.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Very nice. Best wishes of sucess. And maybe it's time for you to start 3D seriously. I'm sure it will empower all your skill and talent.

Emanuel Brito

thank you so much for the responses! Most of the brunt work is done in xara. There I set up all the perspective, thank God for the snap to objects tool! But Each was averaging around 15"x18" 300dpi. I usually used around 40" of 'gray space' so I could fit the vanishing points on there. I usually did it in color or gray hues. But when I exported it I gave it all a white fill with 1pt thick black outlines I believe. Brought it into PS and gave it a layer property so the white would be transparant and colored in the lines in different layers using the magic wand tool. But the coloring's a little easier for me, more natural. I taught myself a lot about perspective thought along the way and it helped me a lot.

3D I lack the software and computer power! But I will definitely be getting into it sometime in my future!
    thanks again
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Steve - It has been a pleasure watching you develop your skills over the years. I hope you find your formal education exciting.

With regards to 3d please check out SketchUp! as I really think you'd find it works well with the way you've been doing things in xara/ps. The developers have student pricing and the product is fantastic value.

Regards, Ross

Steve,

Add mine to the rest – Great work! Congratulation on your acceptance. Keep us up to date, especially with some samples.

Good Luck,
    Steve

Switching platforms?

I'm wondering what platform you will be forced to work on in Art School?
    Most of the people I come into contact that are school-trained are MAC-a-phobites. Mention the word PC and they guffaw, point and snicker. And since Xara X is a one platfrom program - you'll need a special hall pass to go somewhere else to use a PC.

Maybe some of the other readers can shed some informed light on this subject?

Thanks for listening....

Wayne D

I'm going about my career differently I think than most digital artists are going. My priority does not lie within a media of sort. My priority is that my mind expands and I am more aware to my environment and what goes into re/creating it. It's not a digital arts school. It's an art school where you graduate with your bachelors in fine arts and along the way you take the classes you feel are necessary to your future career and learnings. I know that if I take digital art classes... what I'll get is "this is how you use this program" or "look at this cool filter", basic stuff like that. I know that I can, on my own, learn a media, find my own tricks and stuff. But I feel it takes teaching, criticism, and an environment of creation, design and art to open your eyes to the full spectrum of art. I don't want to be taught style and how to do things, as I will just blend into the thousands of other artists that have been taught "how-to-do" the same way. I want to be challenged with ideas and be inspired by other artists and grow that way.
    So the whole platform thing won't be a problem. I'll be using my own computer. And for painting classes and what not, I will be able to use the computer if I choose to. I just feel learning every end of the spectrum I can will in turn make me a better artist instead of just focusing on graphic design/digital arts/or acrylic paint. If I make it over to the art center in california is when I will narrow it down to exactly what I want to focus on.

However, since I strayed a little. We DO have to buy laptops in accordance with their new system and junk and it just happens to be a mac. So there's $2,000 down the drain. I'll use it for notes and classes and junk, but my digital arts will never happen upon that screen
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Now that is funny! I am just picturing the first manditory computer art class. 9 weeks worth of mac paint. Oh the joys of college.

I guess that is why I clep'ed my degree...

"We DO have to buy laptops in accordance with their new system and junk and it just happens to be a mac. So there's $2,000 down the drain. I'll use it for notes and classes and junk, but my digital arts will never happen upon that screen" - Steve

Excellent viewpoint there. I will second that.
    John/DOT