Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Slashdot article

did anyone see this - xara's been slashdotted...

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/05/1...id=185&tid=106

Interesting.

Si
    IP

Default Re: Slashdot article

Indeed, with the expected quality of conversation. :-)

"Xara? What's that shit, use GIMP!!!"

Yes dear.
    IP

I fell over laughing Bob, that was very very funny.

Seems the Slashdoters have not changed one bit in all these years. I stopped bothering with that place as there are so many overly opinionated rude people commenting that it's just not healthy to be around that!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

Too add. I just looked over at the xaraxtreme.org page and looked under the "What about Inkscape / Sodipodi / other Open Source vector programs?" link and it looks like there is talk of both Inkscape and Xara Xtreme joining forces to create an open source project together.

We have been in discussion with Inkscape developers to see how we could cooperate to the benefit of all. And so we have agreed to consider how we could create a future product that combines the best of both Inkscape and Xara Xtreme. This makes a lot of sense, but is not easy, and it might take years.
    WOW, this is very very exciting news!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

I just looked over at the xaraxtreme.org page and looked under the "What about Inkscape / Sodipodi / other Open Source vector programs?" link
    Well done! Pity no-one else who commented about that on /. did the same thing! :-)

I can't wait to play with the stuff, anyway - I've got some very different ideas on how a vector graphic app interface could be done, and would love to test them out on Xara's innards.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMWolff44
    Too add. I just looked over at the xaraxtreme.org page and looked under the "What about Inkscape / Sodipodi / other Open Source vector programs?" link and it looks like there is talk of both Inkscape and Xara Xtreme joining forces to create an open source project together.

WOW, this is very very exciting news!!
    Hi all,

I'm one of those Inkscape developer guys, and like you am also really excited about the possibilities going forward. There's been quite a bit of discussion over on the inkscape discussion list which you might find interest. Like here, it's mostly been speculation, but the Xara CEO's given some answers and ideas of what directions we might go to together in the future.

I'd like to also emphasize that one of the philosophies we hold to be very important with Inkscape is to build really good dialog and involvement between users and developers. With Inkscape, we've found this simple philosophy to be extremely effective. Many of the people who participate in Inkscape started as just regular old users who felt and itch to change something that bugged them; we encouraged them to do so, helped them learn how to do the things they weren't sure how to do, and made them feel part of the team.

I would really like to see this same thing happen in this Xara/Inkscape endeavor. Xarans will play a key role in helping make this whole scheme a runaway success.

Like you, we're also anxiously awaiting the code release, but in the interim please feel free to pop by one of the Inkscape discussion channels, or just get your hands dirty in the Inkscape code. :-)

Bryce
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by bryce
    I'm one of those Inkscape developer guys, and like you am also really excited about the possibilities going forward. There's been quite a bit of discussion over on the inkscape discussion list which you might find interest.
    The correct link is: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...inkscape-devel
    IP